Chapter Six

We arrived in the hospital parking lot around 6:29 that morning. Charles and I went over the plan, and got out of the car.

"You ready?" Charles asked. He was ready. He was jogging in place and shaking out his hands like he was preparing to run.

"Yeah. Um, what are you doing?" He looked ridiculous.

"What? Can't I warm up?"

"Not like that. You look stupid."

He stopped. "Oh yeah? Let's see you do it."

"I'm not doing it, Charles."

"Wimp," He nudged me with his shoulder.

"Whatever. We're here for Alice, remember?" I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Alice. Right. I just don't like thinking about it."

"You won't have to once we get this case solved," I reminded him.
We walked down the parking lot and into the doors, where a rude desk lady sat a few yards away.

"May I help you two?" Everything about her was short. Her hair was red and cut short, her height was short, even her heels were low. To top things off, her reading glasses were low like a librarian's. Which she looked over to see us.

"The morgue," Charles said boldly. He was standing straight up with his chest puffed out a little. To be quite honest, it looked a little funny.

"I'm sorry sir," her little smile showed us that she was annoyed. "But the morgue isn't just a walk-in for the public."

"We're not 'the public' ma'am. We are here to see our friend. Her name is Alice Winstill." I said. I tried not to annoy her further. It wasn't working.

Her face was no longer annoyed, but pale. "Alice? Alice Winstill? Th-the murder case?"

"Yes ma'am. Sad but true, that's-that's her..." Charles said. He was starting to lose it as well.

"Your names?"

"My name is Charles Libt. My friend's name is Cole Alph."

She started typing into the computer.

"Alright, I found you in the system." Really? System? "I'm still going to have to send a guard down with you. Since this case is, special, I can't let you go in there alone."

I nodded. "Understandable."

"Another thing that is asked that you do is to not touch any tools, corpses, and do not sneak around. This is a place of safety and rules." She stared hard at us over her glasses. This woman was starting to make me uneasy. Even Charles was shifting on his feet. "Is that understood?" She stared at us once again. We both felt really uneasy at this point. So we only managed to nod.

She shook her head slightly. "Say it. A nod doesn't get you far in life."

"Understood, ma'am." I said first.

"Yes ma'am, I won't cause any trouble." Charles said innocently.

She stared at us again for a little while. "Alright. I believe you. After the guard comes, you two aren't my problem anymore." She picked up the phone and held it to her ear and started dialing a number. Someone must have picked up, because she started whispering into the phone.

"..... Guards..... Kids..... No Sneaking..... Suspicious...." She then nodded and hung up.

"The guard that will take you downstairs to the morgue will be here soon. For now, take a seat over there." She pointed towards two chairs over away from where the sick and injured would sit.

The guard came to get us a few minutes after we sat down.

He led us to the elevator, and pressed the lowest level in the button board.

Once we were on that level, we had to climb down a flight of stairs. Apparently, in this hospital, the morgue was on the very last floor of the building.

After the stairs, there was a short hallway to walk down. Wow, this morgue seemed farther than I thought.

I started to get nervous. I didn't know what I was about to see. What if I broke down again? What if we actually saw Alice? I thought about turning back and doing this another time, when I realized, there is no other time. This had to be done. Now.

"We're here," said the guard. He was watching our every move. I wonder what the desk lady had said on the phone. It didn't really matter I guess.

Hey lovelies! I'm so sorry I haven't written in awhile! I've been busy. But seriously, please comment (but no hate) and vote! It really helps and really encourages me to keep writing. Please keep reading, and recommend my writings to be read! (Sorry I didn't write much btw)