Chapter 18

"****" marks the beginning and end of the mature stuff in this chapter. Also, this is a pretty long chapter. Figured I owed it to you all. Thank you for reading and please do comment. Your comments always make my day. Ty ty ty!

Lycan. Killing spree. 

Those were the three words that had my mouth running dry.

I'd considered barbaric violence. If lycans were animals, they had to be feral. Right? Even humans were at constant war with each other. 

So why did I hate that those words came out of Kol's mouth. Maybe because now there's no denying the savagery that hid behind their beautiful fur coats. People say there's beauty in chaos, but can their be beauty in creatures that create chaos? 

Ava was one of them, yet she'd proved to be the best friend I ever had.

Kol, Ava, Devon, Mikael, Penelope, and Cyan...they were all good. 

I could feel it.

This lycan had to be a special case. Something horrible must have happened to him or her, or perhaps there was something wrong with their brain chemistry. It happened to humans, it had to happen to them. After all, both humans and lycans are animals, we were comparable to some degree.

Kol tried to keep out much of the gory details but I still felt my stomach churn. However, I didn't interrupt him. I knew violence and gore of some kind would exist in the lycan world, but that didn't mean I enjoyed hearing about it.

I was a pacifist or sorts. I hated war and any kind of unnecessary death. It truly made no sense to me.

 "...We were only doing our weekly run tonight. His last known location was hundreds of miles away. Still, we have dozens of our best guards from our werewolf packs patrolling the outskirts anyway. I don't like to get too confident, especially now." He looked at me as if emphasizing the fact that I seemed to be some kind of asset to his pack now. Guess being the female alpha came with more responsibility and danger than I'd realized. 

He stopped speaking as he offered up that piece of information, waiting for me to speak up.

"So that's what Cyan wanted me to know?" I tried to keep myself collected.

He sighed. "Yes."

"Well I agree with him. Telling the person, who could possibly be in danger, about what's going on is pretty darn sensible," I reprimanded him. 

His expression-less face gave nothing away. He just stared at me, not stopping me from giving my opinion.

I took a deep breath before continuing, "I get why you didn't tell me. And although the bond between us is strong, you can't assume that you know what I can and can't handle. You don't know me completely. Physically, I might not compare to all of you but that does not mean I'm weak in every other sense."

He seemed upset. 

He cupped my cheeks with his palms, "Love, I never said you-"

I interrupted, "You didn't have to say it. You thought it."  That much was clear. At the very least, a tiny portion of his brain thought I couldn't handle the truth. It's more likely that the portion was greater than I'd like to know. 

He clenched his jaw and ran a hand through his hair. I'm sure Zeon felt a little agitated. "I don't think you understand how dangerous this is, love."

I internally scoffed. Of course I didn't.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Of course I don't. Not completely. I can admit that Kol. If you need me to go back home for a while, I can do that. But all I'm saying is that there are things I need to know for my own safety, things you have to tell me and trust me to be able to handle them."