Chapter 4

I hid in the bathroom for at least 10 minutes. 

When I returned to the kitchen, Kol was gone. Instead, I found Devon, Ava and Penelope chatting as they set pretzels and a variety of chips onto separate bowls.

"Where were you babe?" Ava asked as she picked up a chip from the ground and threw it in the trash bin.

"Just the bathroom." I replied. My voice was steady, but that didn't stop Devon from sending me a smirk. The idiot had me blushing again. Did Kol tell him? Did he see? Maybe not, the kitchen door was closed. 

Penelope spoke up, "You smell lik-" Ava froze and flared her nostrils.

"Chocolate" Devon chimed, "Then again the whole house smells like chocolate because I'm making brownies Elope." 

"Right." She blushed. 

I doubt I smelled like chocolate. Was she going to tell me I smelled bad? Did Kol smell that too?! I internally groaned. 

Ava stalked out of the kitchen. 

Huh. She was moody today.

"She's not ecstatic to be back home sweetheart. Just leave her for now." Devon advised before I could go after her. 

I wanted to ask why. Why did she hate being back here? They didn't seem like a bad family. Although I could tell she had issues with Kol and I hadn't seen her interact with Mikael or Cyan. Either way, I wasn't going to snoop if she didn't want to talk right now. I trusted her to come to me, I always did. 

We continued pouring snacks into bowls. Then Mikael and Cyan made an entrance.

"Just the boys I needed. Mind taking these to the movie room?" Penelope asked.

"Only if I get a kiss," Cyan grabbed her waist and I looked away as they leaned in. Devon looked at me and gagged while Mikael's eyes strayed towards the floor. 

"Now take these. Alice and I will take the rest." She handed me two bowls while she grabbed a platter of store-bought cheesecake. Another one of my weaknesses. I was gonna look pregnant tonight, no doubt. 

Devon stayed behind watching his brownies bake, apparently they only had about 20 minutes left and he needed to be precise about the baking time. He said we could start the movie without him and Ava muttered something about his OCD before walking off.

I followed them into a large room downstairs where a projector on the ceiling faced a ginormous black screen and a long, thick couch was placed. A variety of solid colored blankets were at both ends of the couch, neatly folded. I was confident I would fall asleep before the movie ended. 

We placed the food on the small coffee tables that stood between the screen and the couch. I was sure there would be a ton of left overs.

"Our turn to choose. No soppy movies tonight." Kol's voice made me freeze. 

Penelope didn't argue and I grabbed a blanket and a bowl of buttery popcorn, keeping my eyes away from him, before I sat a few feet away from Penelope. Her and Cyan were together, so I made sure to keep my distance. I wouldn't want someone intruding when I cuddled with my boyfriend so I wouldn't do that to her either. 

The boys argued about movie choices as I shoved popcorn in my mouth and occasionally looked at my nails. I should trim them soon. 

I kept my eyes on anything but him. But, that didn't mean I couldn't feel the weight of his stare on my face. He should know that staring is rude. 

He made his way to me as Mikael and Cyan argued about the movie we should watch.

I sighed as he sat close to me. Warmth radiated from his body and I almost closed my eyes to bask in it.