Chapter 2

I feel warm.

I groan as I feel the sunlight reach my eyes. Why didn't I shut my blinds last night? 

I roll across the plush white duvet under me as I let out another groan. I hate mornings. 

"Good morning Darling. I hope you slept well." A deep voice reached my ears.

Who the he-

My eyes shoot open and the man from last night is leaning against the door. Oh. Right. Wait, he-he drugged me! I think. Well he sure as hell did something because I didn't decide to take a sudden nap while talking to a stranger.

"I don't care who you are. This is illegal. You need to tell me where Ava is! You told me she was here, wherever here is..." I mumble the last part as I take a look at the plain white bedroom.

"Right, I'm Devon, darling. And Ava's been waiting for you to wake up, she's eating lunch at the moment. Care to join us?" a small smirk sits on his face. 

Well if Ava's here then that means she's okay. Maybe they really are friends? No, I don't care. He knocked me out somehow. What kind of friends does Ava have?!

"Sure." is all I manage to respond with. I keep a suspicious stare on my face as he leads me out of this bedroom, into a hallway and down a set of stairs. 

This has to be some giant misunderstanding. I just need to let Ava explain. 

"What would you like for lunch?" Devon asks, with a warm smile, as we turn a corner.

Before I can answer, "Alice! I am so sorry, I really am. I didn't mean for you to end up here. I just -" She engulfed me in a hug and her voice was muffled so I couldn't understand what she was saying.

She pulled away but kept a hold on each of my arms as she looked me straight in the eyes. 

"I know D brought you here and you're probably freaking out but I promise he didn't mean to hurt you. I know you have a lot of questions and I'll answer them but listen...trust me when I say that no one will hurt you. These people are actually uh... my family."

Her answer allows my shoulders to relax a little but it also puzzles me. She didn't have family anywhere near here. 

"You said you didn't have family in the U.S. Did they just move here or...?" I know she wouldn't lie, I've known her for 4 years. She doesn't have any reason to. 

Guilt filled her eyes. "No. I didn't lie. Alice, don't freak out but uh we're not...in the US....uh we're in Canada." 

She loves to tease me, but right now isn't the time for jokes. "C'mon Ava, I'm serious."

"So am I, Alice." A grimace took over her face.

She wasn't lying. I could tell when she lied, she wasn't. 

I looked down and then I faced Devon who had sat one of the kitchen island's stools. That son of a gun. He-

"We can take you back darling. That's no problem. We just needed you here to er- encourage Ava to come back home." His words somehow reassured me. There's something about his voice, his personality that I...trust? I must be going mental. But Ava said I could trust him, and if there's anyone I trust here... it's her. So, if she trusts him the least I can do for her is give him the benefit of the doubt.

"How did you even get me across the border?" I asked as the question popped into my head.

"I didn't knock you out with a gun if that's what you're thinking. I'm a bit more methodical. I used your pressure points. Oh and we have a lot of um influence in Canada, darling." He shot a smirk at Ava, who stood watching me.