Chapter 20

I walked out of the steamy bathroom in my white robe. Kol was staring out the window, but turned back to face me when he heard my footsteps approaching him. 

His calm face quickly became apprehensive when he saw the flow of tears falling from my eyes.

The look on his face didn't help. It only made my tears fall quicker.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong? Are you hurt?" He came close to me, cupping my face and giving my entire body a scan. I caught a glimpse of Zeon's worried, golden eyes.

I tried to speak, but my throat was in knots -- sudden nausea hit me in waves.

I settled for a shake of my head. 

His face only grew more confused, but he didn't ask anymore questions. 

The caress of his fingers on my skin and the tight grip he had on my body as he hugged me should've made me feel better. A wave of tingling pleasure was supposed to erupt. That's what the bond was supposed to do.

But I felt nauseous and guilt-ridden instead.

The sparks that Kol's touch usually ignited were dull, like actually dull. I could barely feel them. 

And the realization hit us both at the same time. We both stepped away from each other. My sobs stopped, and we were both left dumbfounded.

Before Kol could reach out to touch me again, to test whether the lack of sparks (and my sudden nausea) had been a fluke, knocks at the door interrupted us.

A man in a white coat, a new doctor, stepped through the door, quickly nodding at Kol before turning to me and doing the same.

"Luna, how do you feel?" The man was tall, with honey blonde hair and light brown eyes.

I looked back at Kol, waiting for him to introduce me to the doctor in front of me. But he didn't. I figured Kol must've mind linked another doctor to check up on me. I don't blame him when a moment ago tears were still falling from my eyes -- he must've thought my pain was physical. But there was something I was missing. The doctor seemed to greet me with a sense of familiarity, yet I could swear I'd never seen his face before.

The oddness of everything that was happening left me more confused.

The extreme guilt I felt from something I'd done before even meeting Kol, the sudden nausea when Kol so much as touched me, and now this new doctors strange familiarity with me...it all was beginning to make my head spin and my unbalanced emotions weren't helping.

I took a deep breath. I'd deal with one thing at a time. I could do it. 

I wiped at the tears making their way down my face. With a raspy voice, I answered, "I'm sorry, what's your name?"

The doctor had seemed worried when he came into the room but I suddenly couldn't place his emotions. His face looked stoic, purposely I think.

Instead of answering me, he turned to face Kol. They mind linked, leaving me out of their conversation entirely. I could only guess that Kol's dark eyes, clenched jaw, and shaking arms weren't a good sign.

I grew worried.

"What's wrong?" I asked them both, in a whisper.

"Leave," Kol growled out at the doctor.

"Luna." The doctor pursed his lips as he gave me a nod, before leaving hastily.

I tried offering a smile, but I'm sure it resembled a grimace.