the avatar returns

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

you're just a teenager

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

"DO YOU KNOW what I like about you, Airi?" Azula asked, playing with a dagger she had taken from Mai that morning. Airi was watching with utmost attention, though she wasn't scared that she was going to get cut.

"No, I don't, Princess Azula," Airi said, still watching as the dagger flipped in Azula's hands before embedding itself in the tree trunk of the tree they sat under.

"You've got good manners and you know how to respect a princess," Azula said. "But that's why I tolerate people. I like you because you're like a tiger lily, except you're always in bloom and you never wither."

"What do you mean, your highness?" Airi asked, curious. Azula laughed. It was a different laugh than the one that likely haunted other people's dreams, light and bubbly and not the cold, merciless laughter of reveling in another's pain.

"People are always compared to flowers," Azula explained, waving her hand off. "But flowers die too quickly, or they wither and they go from the most beautiful thing in a room just a dark, dismal reminder of the past. And they have no spine- a rose may have thorns but it turns to ash just the same as everything else."

"So... you like me because I'm flammable?" Airi asked, giggling slightly. Azula's lips twitched.

"Well, yes, but I like you because you're nice, you're pretty-" Airi blushed and looked away- "but you're not all bark and no bite. You would probably burn Ba Sing Se to the ground if I asked you."

Airi bit her lip. Her emotions always got the better of her. The world could be burning around her and all she would ever see was Azula. And yet, she had morals of her own, but nothing mattered when it was Azula asking her to dismantle them. It was always Azula, nothing but Azula.

"Yes," Airi said quietly, "I probably would."

Azula beamed at her and Airi felt her heart stutter. "You blush so easily," Azula teased, though the look in her eyes was far from teasing as she fixed Airi's hair. Airi's mouth went dry.

"Princess Azula, it's time for dinner," a guard said from the outskirts of the courtyard. He bowed lowly before exiting. Airi stood first, her spine straight as she held a hand out to the Princess to help her up. Had she been with anyone else, she would have looked regal.

"I've heard it's roast duck today," Airi said conversationally, trying to ignore what had just happened.

"Wake up, we're there," Zuko's voice came out of Azula's mouth. Airi frowned, confused. Was this some kind of trick, or prank? It didn't seem like the prince or the princess to be as coordinated with one another to pull the trick off. Maybe she was just tired.

"What?" She asked.

"I said, get up, we've reached the Southern Water tribe and if it comes to a fight, you need to be there," Zuko scowled at the girl who to him, was nothing more than a servant. Airi sighed lightly into her pillow, clinging to the last shreds of her dream before she prepared herself for battle.

She never wore the hefty armor of the Fire Nation, though it offered good protection. For one, she had her to find a size that could fit her. In addition, she was meant to be a "secret weapon", or at the very least, that was what Prince Zuko chalked her up to be, despite her mild protests. Instead, she slipped into her robe, one that had been woven with an element resistant fabric that had been a gift from Azula as her going away present. Taking a deep breath, she slipped a katana underneath the folds of the robe, just incase. She had spent too much time around Ty Lee to rely solely on her bending.