the stars

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

let me into your mind

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

AIRI was right when she assumed that Azula would react to Aang being the avatar. She was also right when she assumed that Azula would react completely differently than Zuko had. Zuko had underestimated Aang time and time again.

When Aang got away this time, it was because they let him.

Azula had a clear idea in her eyes as she told the rest of her friends to pause. Airi was mostly glad she didn't have to decide between Azula and the fate of the world. She had morals, but she was afraid of what she would do if her world was put up against the one she lived in. She preferred not to have to face that reality in anything other than mindless thought experiments late at night.

Azula decided they would stay in Omashu, recently New Ozai, for one more day and truly work out their plan for how to catch the avatar. Airi appreciated the chance to be able to breathe, to sit in a house, a real one that didn't sway back and forth. Even so, the city felt claustrophobic to Airi after years at sea and she found herself pressed against the hard tiles of the roof staring at the open sky, stars dotted across it.

"May I join you?" Azula asked, startling Airi slightly.

"Of course," Airi replied softly, quickly recovering from the initial fright of seeing Azula. Her gaze returned to the stars, the distant pinpoints of light bringing her the same comfort as always.

"Let me into your mind," Azula requested, reaching out and taking Airi's hand into her own. "What are you thinking about?"

Airi's focus found the Princess again. "When I was on the ship, I used to stare at the stars whenever I could see them."

"Why?" Azula asked curiously.

"Because I knew they were the same stars watching over you," Airi smiled softly.

Azula paused, her golden eyes reaching for the night sky with sudden delight. "I never thought of them that way," she admitted. "You should not have been sent away. I should have said something, there was no purpose to you being gone."

"The Fire Lord had a reason," Airi replied, shaking her head softly. "There would have been no one to keep tabs on the Prince if I did not go."

"I know, Azula sighed. "I wish I had been selfish, though, and kept you for myself. I do not want you to have to stare at the stars and wonder if I am alright ever again."

"Then I will never leave your side until you command me to, Princess," Airi replied, only teasing slightly.

"And I will never send you away," Azula promised. "For your sake, I hope this whole avatar business is over soon and we can finally break Ba Sing Se. Someone like you is not suited for war, you're far too pretty."

"If that is the logic we are going by, then I could say the same of you," Airi replied with a smile.

Azula shook her head, suddenly insecure. "Boys always liked Ty Lee and Mai and you better than me."

"Boys are stupid," Airi said softly. "If you ask the girls, they would say there's no one in all four nations who is as beautiful as you are."