the agni-kai

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

i've always liked to play with fire

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

SOMEHOW, Zuko had gotten himself into an agni-kai with Zhao. It wasn't that Airi was surprised, more that she didn't have time for thetwo men to claw each other's faces off. For Airi, time spent doing this was time she was not with Azula. Iroh was equally as upset with Zuko as Airi was, though for different reasons.

"Prince Zuko, do you remember what happened last time you duelled a master?" Iroh warned, sounding equally nervous and frustrated. 

"I will never forget," Zuko said quietly, striding out of the room. Airi pursed her lips, feeling bacd for the prince. She would also never forget the mental image of Zuko being burned. That was the moment when she became disillusioned by the Fire Lord. She had a hard time wrapping her head around how someone would do that to their own son, though she supposed that her own parents had done things over the years that someone else might have thought the same thing. 

Sunset quickly approached, and the trio finally approached the arena, where Zhao was already waiting, bare chested save for a cape strewn over his shoulders. He had already chosen his corner of the ring, so to speak, and he was crouched on one side. "Remember your firebending basics, Prince Zuko," Iroh said, clearly worried for his nephew. "They are your greatest weapon."

"I refuse to let him win," Zuko replied, determination settling into the lines of his face. As much as Zuko got on Airi's nerves, there had been a time when they had been friends, before he had been scarred and filled with nothing but resentment and anger. He was more than just Azula's brother and perhaps if he found himself again, they could be friends again. Either way, she certainly didn't want Zhao to win. 

"This will be over quickly," Zhao taunted. Airi felt like she needed to grab her eyes to stop them from rolling. She closed them instead, sighing at Zhao's over egotistical nature. 

Men. 

The gong rang, signaling the start of the battle. For a moment, neither one moved other than their eyes narrowing and their feet widening as they sunk into their stances. Zuko made the first move, his arms lowering in almost slow motion as spurts of fire blossomed from his fists, tracing his movements before finally exploding out towards Zhao, who dodged to the left and narrowly missed.  Zuko narrowed his eyes and sent two more blasts of fire to Zhao, who stayed quick on his feet and avoided the new threats the same as he had the first one. 

A smirk spread across Zhao's face like poison as he turned to face Zuko again, who was panting and out of breath from his last attacks already. Zuko grit his teeth in the face of Zhao's smirk, and sent another blast of fire, causing Zhao to finally retaliate.

Airi scowled at the battle in front of her. Two men who were supposed to be some of the greatest in the nation battled like her and Azula had when they were children. She had secretly hoped to see Zuko tear into Zhao and clearly, that was not what was happening. 

"Airi, let me show you a new trick I learned," Azula demanded. Airi obeyed, curious to see what new the princess could have possibly learned. Azula closed her eyes, taking a deep breath, before her fingers traced through the air, gathering some invisible force. Crackles of electricity began to sizzle between her fingers until finally, she opened her eyes, chanelling the electricity towards a training dummy. A bolt of pure lightning shot out of Azula's fingertips, striking the dummy. It  scorched instantly, the flames following not long after. 

"Wow," Airi said, her eyes glimmering with awe and fascination. "That was amazing, Azula!"

"I learned it in case anyone tries to take you away from me," Azula said pridefully, her lips twisting into a smile. "Not many people can lightning bend."

Airi felt her heart clench. "No one could take me away from you," Airi insisted. She paused, before looking up at the taller girl through her lashes, her voice soft. "Can you show me again?"

Azula obliged.

•| ⊱✿⊰ |•

Zuko won the agni-kai. He had Zhao at his mercy, beneath him, waiting for the strike of fire that would "teach the commander a lesson".  Zuko unleashed his flame, missing Zhao by a millimeter and drawing back from his firebending stance. 

"That's it?" Zhao taunted. "Your father raised a coward."

Zhao knew exactly which button's of Zuko's to press to make him furious. "Next time you get in my way, I promise, I won't hold back," Zuko spat, his tone venomous. Zuko turned his back, beginning to walk away from Zhao. Driven by anger, Zhao raised his foot and aimed a kick at Zuko.

Silently and seemingly effortlessly, Airi moved in front of the prince and raised a shield of fire taller than she was. The amber flames illuminated the entire arena, including the disdain in Airi's liquid gold eyes that seemed to glow in the flames. The wall of fire was gone as soon as it had come, and Airi was tucking her hands back into her sleeves and standing tall once more. 

"Your shameful thoughts seem to seep into your actions, it would seem," Airi said lightly. Zuko had turned around, amazed by Airi's demonstration of firebending. It was not often that he saw her use her ability to its full power, though she had clearly meant to intimidate Zhao. Judging by the expression on the commander's face, it had worked. 

"This is how the great Commander Zhao acts in defeat?" Iroh asked stepping forward, his anger thinly veiled by a facade of disappointment. "Disgraceful. Even in exile, my nephew is more honorable than you. Thanks for the tea."

With that, the three of them left Zhao sitting on the ground of the arena. Airi flexed her fingers as she walked. Firebending to the extent she just had was unusual for her these days, and it felt as though she had just released pressure from a sore, aching joint all across her body.

"Did you really mean that, uncle?" Zuko asked softly. Iroh smiled at his nephew. 

"Of course I did. I told you ginseng tea is my favorite," Iroh said slyly. Zuko smiled slightly, turning to Airi as they approached their ship at long last. 

"Thank you for that," he said, surprising Airi. 

"It was nothing," she brushed him off. "Besides, it was nice to stretch my abilities a little."

"You should do it more often," Zuko complimented, making Airi arch a brow at the prince. "I can see why Azula likes you so much."

For the first time in a long time, there was no bitter undertone as Zuko spoke of his sister. Perhaps his time at sea was changing him for the better, and perhaps Airi was changing right along with him.

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉written: 9/26edited:-word count: 1200

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉
written: 9/26
edited:-
word count: 1200

an: hello friends! hope you enjoyed this chapter, just a sneak peek into a couple of things, such as airi's true bending ability, zuko and airi's future friendship (crazy right? it's gonna happen though), and what lengths azula would go to keep airi to herself. I'll see you all next week with another chapter (I'm updating weekly on Sundays for as long as i keep the stamina too) ❤️ let me know how you liked this one! 
❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉