Chapter 18

"Mom, I don't know about this," Derek chewed at his lip, standing in the living room with his mother. He accepted that he was a True Alpha even after his past, but he wasn't sure how the rest of the pack would take it. Mostly is older sister Laura.

"You'll have time to adjust; I'm not going to hand over the pack to you just because you've become an Alpha; you'll have to prove still that you'll be able to handle it. We stopped training you and moved to Laura; hopefully, she'll be willing to help you." Talia smiled, resting a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it.

"That's the problem–"

"What's the problem?" Laura walked into the room with Scott and Cora.

"I got my wolf back!" Derek exclaimed, forcing a smile.

"That's great," Cora grinned, hugging her older brother. More members of the pack started to enter the room, and Derek began to feel claustrophobic.

"What are you hiding, Derek?" Laura pushed, knowing that couldn't have been the only reason that this meeting was called.

"I'm not hiding anything," Derek muttered all too quickly.

"Mother," Laura said almost as a warning. Since learning the truth meer hours ago, Laura was on edge about anything her family had to tell her.

Derek looked at his mother with a look on his face of fear. He never wanted to hurt his sister; he didn't want her mad at him for something he couldn't control. "Derek's gotten his wolf back, with a newfound strength." Talia proudly smiled. She nudged Derek forward like a mother would do with her small child when they lost their first tooth or another first happened.

"I–"

"Derek, you're glowing."

Derek noticed it, too; swirls, letters, and phrases in different languages started to glow on his body. There was no burning sensation or feeling of the markings being carved into him, just the feeling of being pulled. Derek ran a finger over a swirl on his forearm, and his skin replaced a familiar texture. "Stiles." Derek gasped, turning to his mother. "It's Stiles."

"Derek, honey," Talia looked in fear at the markings covering her son.

"There's no more Stiles," Peter said, walking to the front of the crowd.

"What?" Derek sneered, turning to his uncle.

"There is no Stiles. Well, his body, but his being is gone. Stiles did something that no amateur Shepherd should ever do. He's now been taken over, and there's no way of getting him back." Peter chuckled, ghosting a hand over Derek's arm. "Pure old energy, if it's possible to get Stiles back, his soul will be burnt to a crisp, nothing left but an empty shell."

"Peter!" Talia growled; she knew he was right.

"That pull you're feeling, it's his last stitch of effort to reach out to you before he's gone for good. Better take that feeling in because it won't last for long." Peter's voice was just above a whisper, but Derek could hear him clear as day. Peter wasn't wrong, Derek was feeling the pull, but it didn't feel right; it felt like a cry for help.

"What do I do?" Derek asked, glaring at Peter as he circled Derek.

"Run as fast as you can. You'll be able to see your mate, what's left of him at least before you have to kill him; Alpha."