Chapter 13

"So you're telling me that if Derek hadn't gotten his little high school crush killed, he would be the alpha?!" Laura shouted, ready to lunge at her brother and possibly even her mother.

"Laura, it is not a choice that I was to make. Derek was born to be an Alpha," Talia sighed. She never wanted them to know this, and now was not the right time to find out.

"Well, he fucked up! So what, now that he's special again, you're gonna hand over the Alpha ability to him? I'm the firstborn! You've been training me my whole life for this." The eldest Hale child shouted.

"Laura!" Talia warned. "We don't know what's going on. The past is in the past. Now, if you want to be the Alpha of this pack because you're right, it is your birthright, then you better stop acting like a child about something that is out of everyone's control. Do you understand?"

The pack cowered in fear at their Alpha's voice. "Yes, mother," Laura whimpered.

"Everyone, back to your duties. I want an update from the search teams in half an hour, do you understand?" Talia looked to her pack.

"Yes, Talia," They answered, leaving the clinic. All that was left in the room was Deaton, Talia, and Derek.

"Mom, you said that grandpa Hale died right after I was born," Derek started waiting to see if his mother would allow him to finish. She tilted her head at his statement. "Do you think, well, that the reason why my wolf is so grumpy is that grandpa died to save me? That his spirit became my wolf?"

"It's possible. From the stories that I was told when I was young, your grandfather showed promise to be an amazing alpha from a young age; no one was sure if he would become a true Alpha because he would be given the power when he came of age. There wasn't a second thought given." Talia chewed at her lip.

"When he gave you the power, did anything change?" Deaton asked.

"Well, nothing that I noticed. The pack always followed his orders, sometimes over my own, but I believed that it was because I was a young Alpha and they were still so used to following him that it was going to take longer to adjust." Wringing her hands together, she looked at Deaton in a state of almost worry. "Do you think that the reason they still listened to him was that he was a True Alpha, and the power was always lingering inside of him?"

"It's possible. He passed on the power that he was given and not the power that he was born with. If it's true that when he died, his spirit passed to Derek, then his power might have as well. In a way, it's similar to how normal Alpha's pass their power onto their successor when they pass as well." Deaton moved to his office, looking through old leather-bound books.

"Do you think that power is still there? That even if I'm not an alpha that I can use it to find Stiles?" Derek looked to his mother with hope in his eyes.

"It's possible, but the way of finding out isn't pleasant," Deaton answered, holding a book in his hands. "We'll have to look through your memories and try to tab into your wolf to see if what we believe to be true really is. If so, it's possible."

"Whatever it takes. I have a sickening feeling that we don't have much time left."