Chapter 2

"Are you ready, Stiles?" Raising his head to the voice, Stiles looked at the iron door in front of him. Chase stood in the doorway, waiting for Stiles' answer. "Well?" Chase pressed.

"I'll try my best," Stiles whispered out. Slowly standing to his feet, Stiles waited until Chase unshackled his hands and feet. Quietly they walked down the long, dark, maze-like hallways that are the Valentine Pack compound. The corridors felt never-ending, rooms lined the walls, but they were all windowless and only made the compound feel darker.

The only light that entered the compound was the natural light from the massive conservatory that was in the middle of the compound. The Valentine Pack compound was entirely underground. The greenhouse has a glass ceiling that lets in the natural light. Filled with many different trees, shrubs, and flowers, the conservatory was the only place that Stiles felt like he could breathe.

Stiles grinned, feeling the soil between his toes as he entered the conservatory, the smell of fresh-cut grass, and the many different types of flowers filled Stiles' nose. Being in the greenhouse was the only time Stiles was allowed to be alone outside of his room. Chase would bring him into the conservatory to try and perform a ritual that Stiles still didn't understand. After so many failed attempts, Stiles is shocked that he's still alive. Chase believes that though Stiles continues to fail the ritual, that he still holds some kind of value, so Chase lets Stiles live.

"You have an hour. Tomorrow we will try the ritual again." Chase said, watching Stiles sit in the grass.

"Can I have two? You can skip lunch today; I'd rather be out here." Stiles looked to Chase, waiting for his answer.

"You will not skip lunch," Chase growled. "But, you've been good, so if you'd like, you can eat lunch out here today." Stiles grinned brightly at Chase. He never expected this answer; Chase was very strict about Stiles' daily schedule.

"Really? Thank you, Chase!" Stiles jumped up happily. Chase only gave Stiles a curt nod before leaving him alone in the conservatory.

Stiles let out a sighed resting on the grass next to the small pond in the center of the conservatory. It was filled with koi fish, and shockingly, for this being a completely enclosed facility, there were many animals. Rabbits, birds, you name it, it felt like being in the woods back in Beacon Hills. Aside from the fact that the animals weren't scared of Stiles, but most weren't. Even when he was in Beacon Hills, animals would approach Stiles; he never understood why, not until he met Derek.

Stiles felt a cold nose on his mostly bare shoulder, giggling as it tickled, he looked over his shoulder at the small deer fawn. "Hello, little one. How are you today? Where are your friends?" Stiles asked, looking for the other little woodland creatures to show themselves. He felt like he was in Bambi.

The animals didn't like to come out when Chase or any of the others were around. There is one girl, they like her too, but Stiles doesn't know who she is. He's only seen her for a split second in the hallway when leaving the conservatory. She was different, but Stiles wasn't sure how. She didn't feel like a werewolf; she felt like him.

Did Chase have multiple Shepherds?

Who was next if Stiles couldn't do what Chase wanted?