Chapter 4

Rafe

"I'm so sorry Mr McCawley." the nurse says softly. "I truly am."

I open my mouth but the words won't come out, instead I lie there my mouth opening an closing like a goldfish. 

"I'll leave you in peace." She says quietly, before messing with the monitors beside my bed and leaving the room. I close my eyes, clenching my jaw tightly. The door instantly clicks open.

"What did they say, Rafe?" Danny asks, concern crippling his face. "Are you gonna be able to come back to the boys?"

I open my eyes and exhale slowly, my eyes filled with tears. Evelyn sits next to me clutching my arm. She probably knew all along, given she's a nurse. She nods comfortingly.

"What's goin' on Rafe?" Danny asks desperately.

"Danny," I begin, my voice barely recognizable because of how horse and strained it is, almost like a whimper. "I ain't coming back to the force."

"What do you mean?!" Danny breathes, his face drained of colour.

"Danny, " I choke. "They took my wings, I ain't ever gonna be able to fly again."

"Oh my God..." Danny says weakly, taking a seat. "I...I...don't know what to say."

So we sit in silence, allowing ourselves to register he situation.

Danny curses suddenly. "This is all my fault!" He storms out of the room.

"Danny!" I call after him desperately. Evelyn holds me down.

I begin to sob, my whole body shaking as hot tears stream down my face. Evelyn wraps her slender arms around me, whispering soothing words until I drift off to sleep and darkness swallows me up.