Chapter 3

As soon as the door shuts behind Danny, Rafe moans in pain.

He was hiding it for Danny. To protect him.

"Easy." I say harshly, sitting down next to him.

"Evelyn?" he asks weakly.

"Yeah. Hey." I say softly, running my fingers through his thick hair.

His body relaxes at my touch and he sighs.

A few moments pass.

"Wait...Evelyn. I can't do this." He says sternly, shaking his head.

"What do you mean?" I ask, pulling away.

"I can't Evelyn. Look...when I was in England fighting, you kept me alive. The thought of you, it...it kept me going, an' when I got home and found out...well, it broke my heart, Evelyn. I mean....I made a deal with god, when I was in that cold water, staring death in the face. I said: 'God, just let me see her one more time, just one more time.' An' God granted my wish...and Evelyn, do you know what...it was worth it." His voice cracks. "Evelyn. I love you. I always have and will, an' yesterday when I was hit...I asked God for one last chance again. One more chance to make things right. One more chance to take care of Danny, to make sure he's in good hands. And once everything's good, then I'll go, then I'll die. An' here I am, Evelyn. Here I am. So promise me one thing. Promise me you'll care for Danny, that you'll love him and make sure he never goes to war, that you'll be there for him. I don't care why you did it Evelyn, and quite frankly I don't wanna know, but just promise me one thing...take care of Danny Walker."

"Rafe...I love you...I love you with all my heart." I choke, tears spilling down my cheeks.

"No...you love Danny." he says sadly.

"No..." I say gently, before pulling him in for a kiss. The burning sensation in my chest burns brighter and I need more. His lips fit perfectly with mine, the pressure perfect. I close my eyes, lavishing in the moment.

I slowly pull away.

"Just let me go." he says, before he losses conciousness again.

"I can't." I whisper.