Chapter 1

Evelyn.

I lean against a wall. The stifling heat inside the hospital making my garments stick closely to my skin. I take a deep breath and wipe my sweat soaked strands of hair off my forehead. 

The thick, hot smell of blood hangs heavily in the air, screams of pain tearing through the wards. I steady my shaking hands and wipe the stains off on my apron.

Yet all I can think about is Rafe and Danny.

Tears begin to flood into my eyes. They could be dead. They most likely are dead.

I've been distracting myself now for at least four if not five hours, waiting to receive news about Rafe and Danny's squadron. 

Tending to each patient that is dragged though these doors, making sure that each one of them is cared for. 

I have heard nothing.

I quickly wipe my eyes and force myself off the wall, sucking in another deep breath of air.

I glance upwards, and  my heart leaps, because through my blurred and slued vision, I can just about make out his tousled black hair and army uniform against the mixture of clustered people.

Danny.

Bloodied, but alive.

Danny's alive.

My eyes instantly begin to search for Rafe, but the crowd sways and I lose site of Danny. My legs begin to move towards them, before my mind can register what they're doing. I force my way through the crowd, stumbling over people.

"Danny!" I call out over the chaos. "Danny!"

I catch sight of him again, he's supporting someone, their arm wrapped around his neck.

I force myself closer towards him, a smile spreading across my lips, when my legs lock.

"No!" I choke out, my body trembling.

For clutching tightly to Danny, his face bloodied and cries penetrating through the thick air...is Rafe.

Danny spins round. "Evelyn!" He yells, relief washing over his face. "Evelyn! Rafe...he...he's hurt!"

I jolt back into reality, pushing my way so I'm in front of him.

"Hey." I say breathlessly.

"Hey." He replies, studying my face. 

"Get him up on the bed!" I order, pulling Rafe's other limp arm over my shoulder and guiding him towards a vacant bed. Danny hauls him up onto the bed, and a groan escapes Rafe's soft lips.

Danny grips his hand as I examine him. 

From what I can tell he has no visible head wounds, but it's impossible to tell what's going on inside. He has two pieces of shrapnel in his chest and a third huge piece in his thigh. My heart begins to slam against my chest.

"Danny!" Rafe moans.

"Yeah. Hey, Rafe, it's me, you're gonna be just fine." Danny says his voice wavering slightly.

"Danny!" Rafe cries out as he turns to face him. 

"It's okay Rafe, easy now!" Danny sobs, before Rafe tenses up, cupping Danny's face with one hand , keeping the other locked tightly in his hand.

"Danny." says Rafe in a strained voice. " Listen to me...take care of your self....Danny, your...your like my own brother, okay? An' you're the best friend I'll ever have...So don't you dare let anyone put you down, right? Listen to me Danny." he chokes out, tears rolling down his cheeks, cutting pathways through the dirt on his face. "I'm sorry...that...that I blamed you...take care of Evelyn...for me..."

"No Rafe. Please." Danny pleads his voice cracking.

"No Danny!" Rafe moans. "Please...just...just do it for me!"

Danny presses his forehead against Rafe's, his body shaking.

"Danny...I love you." Is all Rafe manages to say before he looses his grip on Danny's hand and his eyes roll into the back of his head and his body begins to shake violently, as he begins frothing at the mouth.

"Seziure!" I scream. "Seziure!"

Within a few seconds two doctors and a nurse rush to my side, holding him down and giving him medications.

Danny collapses, screaming obscenity's at nobody. 

And all I can do is watch.