Chapter 2

Danny

The door clicks open, but I don't pull my eyes away from Rafe.

My eyes are locked on him, monitoring the rising and falling of his chest, listening carefully to the sound of the machine that's proving his heart's still working, the rhythmic beeps engraved into my head.

"Danny." her voice sends a warm chill across my body, but I refuse to look at her.

I just can't.

Not after Rafe pushed me out of the way of that explosion. Not after he told me to love Evelyn 'cause he can't anymore. Not after he said he won't make it 'cause his heart's already broken. Not after he saved my ass so many times. Not after he protected and defended me...

Evelyn delicately places her hand on my shoulder.

I bow my head. "He...he did it..." I clear my throat. "He did it for me."

"What?" She asks softly.

"He pushed me outta the way...he knew he could die if he did...he ain't stupid." I cough out, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Oh, Danny." she says gently, kneeling down in front of me. "It's not your fault."

"No Evelyn. It is!" I snap. "If I hadn't decided to play hero and go try and shoot the Japs down...I...I wouldn't have drawn attention to where we were...and then they wouldn't have bombed us...and...and Rafe wouldn't have got me out of the way...and we'd both be fine!" I cry, letting the sobs wrack my body uncontrollably. 

Evelyn wraps her arms around me, and I bury myself into her shoulder, her sweet perfume finding it's way up my nose, luring me in.

I let myself calm down, picking up my dignity. 

"Danny?"

Then my heart stops.

"Danny?" I pull away.

Am I hearing things?

I stare over at Rafe, who's chest is rising and falling out of it's usual rhythm.

"Danny?"

It's him! His lips are barely moving.

I rush over to his side.

"Rafe?" I ask, still unsure it's him.

"Hey." he croaks weakly, a faint smile lingering on his lips. 

"Oh my god, are...are you okay? Can I get ya something?"  I ask.

Rafe laughs lightly his eyes barely open. "Um...maybe some painkillers?"

I smile, before stumbling out of his room, giddy with the knowledge he's awake, straight to the nurses desk.