Chapter 1

(Note: This is pretty old, so it is not my best work. Trust me, it progresses from here.)

          Yellowkit opened her eyes for the first time.

          "Yellowkit, you finally opened your eyes!"

          Yellowkit squinted at her mother.

          She had orange speckled fur and light cyan eyes.

          "I-I didn't know that everything was so colorful!" Yellowkit exclaimed.

          Another cat laughed. She had dark brown fur with phlox purple eyes and a long tail.

          "Oh, Heathershine," Yellowkit's mother groaned.

          "Pinespeck, get used to it."

          Yellowkit looked around. "Pinespeck, may I go out into the camp?" she asked, hopeful that she could explore.

          "I suppose so. Be careful, though," she replied.

          Yellowkit bounced out of the nursery.

          Two apprentices were scuffling. She padded over to them. "H-hi! What are your names?" she asked.

          A dark brown she-cat sat down and smiled. "Hi! I'm Hollypaw. This is my brother Boulderpaw," she replied.

          "I'm Yellowkit!"

          "Nice to meet you. Uh, do you have any siblings?"

          "What?" Yellowkit mewed.

          "Siblings? Like, a brother or sister?" Hollypaw asked.

          Yellowkit thought for a moment. She didn't see any other kits other than Fenneltail's kits, Mothkit, Shorekit, Russetkit, and Hailkit, and Heathershine's new kits.

          "No."

          Boulderpaw set his tail on Hollypaw's shoulder. "What a shame," he mewed.

          "Yeah, it would be nice for you to have someone to play with."

          Yellowkit thought for a heartbeat. "I can play with you two!"

          "I'm afraid they're too big, Yellowkit." She heard her mother's voice.

          "Pinespeck, you followed me?"

          "Well, I wanted to see what you were up to. I don't want you to get into trouble, you know."

          Yellowkit rolled her eyes.

          "Mothers are like that, you know," Boulderpaw meowed, winking.

          Yellowkit fluttered her eyelashes.

          Pinespeck flicked her tail impatiently. "Yellowkit, dear, do you want to explore the camp?"

          Yellowkit bounced. "Of course I do!"

          Hollypaw and Boulderpaw dipped their heads.

          "See you around, Yellowkit," Boulderpaw meowed.

          She followed her mother. They squeezed into another den, a bit bigger this time. "This is the apprentice den. Hollypaw and Boulderpaw sleep here, along with Sweetpaw, Brackenpaw, Cherrypaw, and Strikepaw."