Chapter 7

The RiverClan warrior stepped aside to reveal a ginger mackerel tabby cat, whose eyes were burning with fury.

          She took several paces over to Tansy, who was still laying on the ground, and stood over him as if he were a mouse and she was about to catch him.

          "You killed my daughter," she snarled softly. "You fed her deathberries."

           Tansy scoffed. "You don't have any proof!"

           "Everyone in RiverClan knows," Mumblefoot growled.

            A silver she-cat nodded. "You can't hide it from us," she hissed.

            Tansy growled at the she-cat standing over her. He raised his paw again to scratch the ginger she-cat's eyes, but she yanked it down with her teeth and dug them into his throat.

            Blood pulsed out of his throat and spilled onto her muzzle. He flailed his paws around in the air, desperately trying to land them on the ginger she-cat to push away from her.

            "Gingerfall, that's enough!" the bengal she-cat hissed. She grasped the she-cat's scruff in her jaws and pulled her off of the tom whose fur was now bloodstained.

            Gingerfall wiped her jaws on a leaf and stared at the white tom.

            His body jerked one time and laid still. Glazed eyes stared at Blackfang, who was staring back in horror.

            "You—you killed him!" she cried. She buried her head in his fur.

            Yellowpaw's eyes widened. What even happened that day? She stared at the now dead rogue laying on the ground, feeling traumatized, but a little voice inside her said she liked it.

            She thought for a moment, wanting to do that to the badger that had killed her mother, then pushed the thought aside. The badger must have been long gone by now, and besides, she was only an apprentice, so that wouldn't happen.

             "Th—thank you," she mewed to the RiverClan patrol.

             "You should've been more careful, kid, wandering around in the forest alone," Mumblefoot snapped.

             Yellowpaw lowered her head. "Y—yeah, I suppose you're right..." Great, they're telling me I should be more careful when I could've died!

             "Let's get you back to your camp."

             Yellowpaw followed the RiverClan cats out of the swamp and back to the ShadowClan camp. She thanked them and headed inside, but was flanked by the bengal she-cat, who introduced herself as Jaguarpelt.

            Ashenlight leaped over to the two she-cats, her eyes filled with worry and happiness. "Yellowpaw, where were you? I was so worried, I was looking all over for you!" she exclaimed. Once she noticed the RiverClan warrior standing next to her apprentice, she added, "And what are you doing here, Jaguarpelt?"

           Jaguarpelt dipped her head and stepped a little farther away from Yellowpaw. "Yellowpaw, here, was taking a walk and ended up in a swamp where this white cat with spr—" she got cut off by Ashenlight, who meowed, "Spring bud eyes?"

          The RiverClan she-cat nodded. "You know about him?"

          "Of course," Ashenlight meowed, sitting down. "He fed deathberries to one of our apprentices, Russetpaw. Luckily Yellowpaw was there to tell Bloomspring about it, and Russetpaw is fine now. Do you know much about him?"