Chapter 4

"What?" Opalbreeze snapped. "Eaglekit is gone? She could be out in the woods! What if she gets near a badger set? We can't go out and look for her!"

          "I know, Opalbreeze, but something might happen to her!" Heathershine cried.

          "Opalbreeze, c'mon, why can't we look for Eaglekit? It is a kit, and kits, elders and queens come before warriors and apprentices and stuff," Mothpaw said.

          Opalbreeze sighed. "Well, alright. But everyone be careful."

          They carefully slid out of the nest.

          Yellowpaw counted all the cats. There were all of the apprentices there. Fenneltail became a warrior again after her kits were made apprentices, and so did Pinespeck.

          Yellowpaw froze.

          Pinespeck was a warrior again, which meant she was left in camp.

          To fight the badger.

          "Opalbreeze!" she whispered loudly.

          She padded over to Yellowpaw and hissed, "What?"

          Yellowpaw gulped hard. "My mom is in camp. To fight the badger," she whispered, her voice shaking.

          Opalbreeze sighed, her neon blue eyes clouded over with pain. "I—um—well, Yellowpaw, I can't guarantee that..." She trailed off.

          "That?" Yellowpaw asked frantically.

          "That...she'll survive."

          "W—what do you mean?"

          "Um. That badger seemed very healthy and strong, and that means that it's powerful, and it could..."

          "Could what?" Yellowpaw demanded.

          "Could...kill her."

          Yellowpaw gasped. What was she thinking anyway? That badgers were as powerful as ants? No, strong badgers could kill anything at any time anywhere. That means that something could have happened to her mother. And she wouldn't know it.

          "Opalbreeze...why did you tell me?"

          "Well, you asked."

          Yellowpaw gulped. "Oh—oh. Ye—yeah. Uhh, thanks, Opalbreeze," she choked out.

          Opalbreeze nodded sadly. "You're welcome," she whispered. She padded away from Yellowpaw.

          She decided to get her mind off of her mother's possible fate by looking for Eaglekit. She slid in between some bushes, which was a tight squeeze, but she checked there because she figured that a small kit could fit in that space.

           Nothing.

           Underneath rocks.

           Nothing.

          She padded over to Mothpaw, who was looking around a riverbank. "Hey, Mothpaw. Any luck?" she asked, her tone not exactly happy.

           "Nope. I hope we can find Eaglekit, though," Mothpaw mewed.

           "Yeah, me too," Yellowpaw agreed. "I wonder how Ashenlight is doing at fighting that badger."

            "Last time I saw her, she was beating up the badger really good."