3

"So, are the two of you gay?" Alfred asked. I nearly spit out my drink from his comment. "We are just good friends..... Arthur agreed to help me.... for me to be able to take the two of you in. Vargas had mentioned that all the other foster care homes would split the two of you," Francis spoke. Their eyes widened, and they smiled softly. "Well thank god for Arthur," Alfred laughed in a joking way. "Alfred, you can stop being so hard on them. Thank you for everything.... the two of you seem really nice," Matthew finally spoke.

These boys were sixteen in the foster care system, there was so much that they had seen.... it was really sad. Francis placed food in front of them and they both looked really happy. "Are we going to have to change schools for the upcoming school year?" Alfred asked. "How far is your school?" Francis asked. "From your house, it is actually close.... we have been going there since our freshman year; we wanted to stay," Matthew spoke. Francis and I looked at each other and smiled. "Well if the two of you do not want to leave, we won't force it on you. I think the only thing we have to do is change the addresses for the two of you."

They both smiled relieved, and it made me really happy. I am sure that once they are ready, they will tell us about themselves. "If you have any questions, just feel free to ask. Arthur and I want to make sure you two are comfortable," Francis smiled. I nodded in agreement, and the two of them looked at us. "Are the two of you from here?" Matthew asked. "No, we were both born in Europe. I am from England, and Francis is from France. We both went to university together" I spoke.

They looked at us, so surprised. "Wow! What is Europe like? I've always wanted to visit" Alfred spoke shocked. "Well, I actually just moved here two weeks ago. Maybe one day we can take the two of you?" I suggested. I didn't see why not, I mean Francis and I both made enough money for a trip like that, and I had a place to stay in London. "That would be so cool!" Matthew spoke excitedly.

We all continued to eat the food Francis made, which was pancakes, eggs, and biscuits with bacon. Ordinary breakfast food people would usually eat. I felt Francis tap my leg from under the table and it made me look at him. He gave me the sweetest smile ever, and it melted my heart. I felt my cheeks get red, and I immediately looked away from him the best that I could. He was a divorced man who obviously isn't ready to look for a significant other.

So why the hell does his smile continue to make me feel so vulnerable? I am not in college anymore, and I told myself that I would not be doing this again. Maybe I should try dating? Gosh, is that even the right thing to do?

~
That night, Francis and I sat in his room to talk a bit. "Today went smoothly; now, hopefully, they will be more comfortable," he said, relieved. "Well, we have a whole summer left, so maybe we should do something together?" I suggested. "Yeah! Like the beach or something?" He suggested. I nodded in agreement and spoke "Canada has some nice beaches," I smiled. He nodded in agreement, and we began to talk about what and where we can take them.

We had begun to laugh with each other, and there was just this warm sensation that I loved so much. We both sat on the bed, and he shoved me a little. "You are such a child," I laughed, shoving him back. He gave me a sweet smile, and I just wanted to wrap my arms around him. It had only been a week since being so close to him again, and I was already having a crush on him.

However, we are grown men and adults now, and he ..... is still getting over the divorce. There was no point in trying to do anything or be with him. He was dense as always, and even back then, he didn't know I was so in love with him. Despite me dropping hints and making it obvious. I really should not be getting into these feelings again, but I can't help it.

"Well, I should be heading to my room for the night," I spoke. I stopped in my tracks and looked back at him. His face was soft and sweet, and he gave me a small smile. My eyes widened, and I felt my cheeks grow hot.

"Goodnight," he spoke. I nodded and quickly walked out of his room and into my own. I shut my door quietly and held onto my chest, holding it tightly. "I'm too old to feel this way," I breathed out. I began to take off my shirt and lay in bed with nothing but my night shorts on.

Maybe I should wake up early tomorrow and make everyone breakfast? It would be a nice gesture. Plus, I was excited to be able to talk to the boys. It was still the summertime, so maybe we could all do something together for them to become more comfortable with us.

They were good kids deep down; I just knew it. I smiled at the thought of them and turned over on my side. I am sure they have been through a lot. Having a family is important for their mental health, and I want to make sure they are happy. Even though I was afraid of this situation at first, I think with Francis beside me to help out. Everything will be smooth and fun, and I was absolutely excited to see where this would go.