Chapter 19: By the Wayside

A/N: I'M SORRY OK! IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT FOR GETTING INVESTED. Anyway, there's not that many chapters left for this fic, even so don't expect me to finish it this year. I will finish it eventually though. I will. Honest. Can't say the same for a lotta fics. Also, will probably do an a/b/o calron oneshot.

The still unfamiliar cell doors creaked open to reveal a shock of blonde hair shoved downwards into shaky hands. Green eyes stared past call and into nothingness, empty, void of emotion. Call winced looking into Aaron's face.

"I'm sorry." Call said.

"I'm not the one you almost killed, Call." Aaron said in a monotone voice.

"It wasn't me! It was..."

"Jack. I'm fully aware. What the fuck was that, Call?" Aaron said, venom cutting through every word.

"I... he was my thief headspace, I guess. My alter ego. I've always had control. Until now. He just took over. When I saw my dad... I couldn't stop it." Call winced at his own words.

"I thought you were different, Call. I thought you didn't have the heart to actually pull the trigger. I thought we could be... Never mind. It doesn't matter now anyway." Aaron said, looking down at the ground.

"Aaron, I'm still the same. I've been training for so many months now... do you really think me- Jack missing, all that was just an accident?" Call said.

"I don't know, Call. And it doesn't matter. What if you hadn't missed? What if you'd been in control? Nothing would have changed, Call. You shoot no one and I'd be dead right now. But being dead would be better." Aaron responded dejectedly.

His heart stopped a moment, and there was a low silence before Call spoke again. "You can get out, Aaron. You and my dad, you can both get out. I talked to Constantine and-"

"Do you seriously believe anything that son of a bitch says? After all the screwed up shit he's done? After living here for months? You don't sound like a prisoner, Call." Aaron replied, making Call fidget uncomfortably under the weight of his gaze.

"I have a bargaining chip, Aaron. I'll make sure you both make it out of this." Call said, trying to sound determined.

Aaron rolled his eyes and scoffed. "What? What leverage could you possibly have?"

"Me."

Aaron's eyes widened, and he sprung to his feet, voice raising with every sentence. "You can't be serious. You can't give up your life to a madman killing people, Call. I know how this works, believe me. People DIE, Call. DIE over stupid shit all the time. we can get out, you can get help-"

"I don't NEED help, Aaron. I need to know you're safe. If we run, they'll chase us. There are armed guards 24/7, all day, every day. Your only options are to go now and live a normal life, or become a prisoner on the road to nowhere with no prospect of escape." Call said resolutely.

"There's another option." Aaron said with a dark glint in his eyes.

"What?" Call said skeptically.

"Get out or die trying." Aaron said, voice just above a whisper.

"Oh, wow, what a GREAT idea! Let's BOTH kick the bucket for no reason! Goddamn it Aaron, I'm not letting you die." Call said. And he left the cell in silence.