Chapter 1: No *Bad* Deed Goes Unpunished

Call slammed his fist into the mirror, creating a loud noise and a large crack he should probably fix eventually. Ow. That really hurt. A lot. But it accomplished its goal, which was to snap him out of the spiral of self-hatred he was slowly slipping down into. Sometimes, (most of the time if he was honest) Call hated just looking at himself. The concept of his face revolted him. Not because it wasn't a nice face. As far as faces go, Call wasn't going to say he was unattractive. It was just the things he did with that face that he was revolted by. The things he'd seen, watching helplessly as the face that wasn't quite his contorted into the face of Jack. Jack was coldhearted. Jack wasn't call. Call could never do any of the things Jack did every night.

Call tried to focus his mind back to the task at hand, which happened to be self motivation.

"It's ok, Call. They can afford it. Do it for your dad. Your dad needs you. And maybe stop talking to a mirror, while you're at it." then the realization dawned on him that he had just punched a mirror.

"You maniac! You know you could go to jail for mirror abuse!" Then, call laughed because he could go to jail for many, many things worse than that. It was time. He put on the mask, and let Jack take over.

It was dark. It was always dark, when Jack went out, but this night was pitch black, and he could almost feel the darkness encapsulating him, blending him into the atmosphere. Call hated the dark. Jack loved it. Pelham street. Pelham and 5th. Slip in through the window, grab what you can, get out. He climbed the fence with ease, landing softly on his feet when he hit the ground. Jack laughed. Child's play. Call was terrified. For some reason, rich people always wanted the best. Jack tapped the drainpipe lightly to make sure it was metal. It was. Slowly, softly, Jack worked his way to the window frame. Windows were harder. Windows required finesse. After a few moments, however, the window slid open soundlessly, leaving Jack in an empty parlor that smelt like Cubans. A watch here, some jewelry there. Nothing extravagant, nothing they would immediately notice. Fill in the gaps around the missing things so that it seemed like they were never taken. The problem with rich people, Jack thought, is that they have too many things. If there was less in here, they would know. Call just crawled farther back inside his mind that he almost didn't realize that he had already left.

He checked the time on his watch. 3:03 AM. School was at 8:00, and he still didn't finish his Trigonometry worksheet. Stupid homework. Stupid dad. Stupid money.

-five grueling hours later-

He was late. Again. He, Callum Hunt, was late. Maybe no one would notice? Maybe there would be some other poor soul who was late to Miss Rajavi's math class? No, just him. Of course it was just him. Call was snapped out of his thoughts by the blinding flash and the quick click of a camera shutter.

"Jasper I swear to god if you take one more picture of me I'll shove that camera so far up your-"

"Well, well, well, look who decided to actually show up to Math class."

"Ms. Rajavi I can explain-"

"Just sit down and maybe if you did the homework I won't mark you down as late."

"It was three minutes!"

"Hunt."

"Ok, ok I get the point." Call grabbed the crumpled sheet of homework at the bottom of his bag and handed it to the teacher, making sure to give Jasper the meanest glare he could muster as he walked to his seat. Irritatingly, Ms. Rajavi had moved him to the front of the class the fifth time he fell asleep in math class, so no more morning naps for Call, which meant less sleep, worse grades, and more time studying, and in some bizarre chain reaction meant that he had to stop eating lunch for the time being. Even worse, he was sat down to Aaron Stewart, who somehow managed to pull off popular jock and teacher's pet in one aggravatingly annoying package. At some point the teacher had started talking, and Call had to try to put on his best "I'm listening" face whilst trying not to fall asleep.