EDITED VERSION: Chapter Twenty

"Shut up, Darian," I heard Nathan hiss in the hallway.

I sat in my room listening to music and editing the manuscript that I had written for my Creative Writing class last semester. Even though I wasn't in that class anymore and there really wasn't much use continuing to edit it, I did it regardless because deep down, I wasn't ready to let go of the characters I spent my every spare moment on. Despite trying to remain focused on my work, I found it extremely difficult because every five minutes I would hear a thud and then Nathan and Darian would start biting each other's heads off. What they were doing? The Lord only knows and I'm too scared to figure it out.

My cell phone rang, breaking me from my thoughts. Looking down at my phone, I saw Alex's name pop up on the screen. Letting out a sigh, I picked up the phone. "Hey, Alex."

"Wow, don't sound so disappointed, sis," Alex's voice rang through the phone.

I rolled my eyes and pushed my laptop off my lap, and went to sit at the edge of my bed. "I'm not disappointed, you just never call and you really pissed me off with that Jude thing you pulled. Did you know he refuses to talk to me now?"

My sister sighed, not an apologetic sigh, but more of an annoyed one. "I know. I'm sorry, I just wanted you to get back out there and find someone who makes you happy."

"You still had no right to do what you did," I snapped. "Not only did Jude stop talking to me, but Nathan was pissed at me for days."

"I know, I know," Alex whined. "I'm really sorry Audrey."

I ran my hand through my hair and sighed, staring at my floor. "Just don't pull that kind of stuff with me again. I have enough to deal with."

There was a pause and I could only hear Alex breathing. After a moment she said, "Do you miss them too?"

"They say holidays are the worst," I nodded, even though I knew she couldn't see me. "It feels weird not being with them right now."

"Well, at least you have your roommates," I heard a smile in her voice as she said, "I bet you went crazy with decorations, like every year."

I laughed and laid down on my bed, feeling tired of sitting. "Actually, I didn't decorate. Wasn't in the Christmas spirit, I guess."

"Awe," Alex began. "At least have a gingerbread cookie or something to get in the spirit."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Did you have a gingerbread cookie to get in the spirit?"

"Nah, I went with adult eggnog."

"Nice," I said slowly. After a few seconds of silence, I said, "Well, tomorrow I will be in the spirit. Samara and the guys are planning to have a little celebration before Darian and Nathan go to their parents for dinner."

"That sounds nice!" My sister said enthusiastically. I could practically picture her eyes light up and a smile appear on her face.

I smiled slightly and began to play with my hair. "Yeah, I think it might be fun."

"I bet it wil-" Alex began but was cut off by another thud and I heard Nathan say, "Shit! Wait - yes!"

"Bro, keep it down. She'll hear you!" Darian whisper yelled to his brother.

Curiosity won me over as I heard Darian scold his brother for being loud. Saving my work and closing my laptop, I raised from my bed and started for the door.

"Hey, Alex?" I said.

"What's up?" My sister asked, sounding mildly concerned at my tone.

I ran my hand through my hair and sighed. "I think Darian and Nathan may be trying to kill one another so I'm gonna have to let you go."