Bonus Chapter: Books and babies.

EDITED VERSION BONUS CHAPTER: Books and Babies

*Nathan's POV*

Audrey looked like she was going to be sick. Her skin was pale and a sickly shade of green as she sat at the kitchen island, staring down at her phone.

I closed the door slowly, my heart beating fast. She didn't look like herself. "What's going on?"

Audrey looked from the phone to me, back to the phone. "My agent called..."

I set down my keys on the little table beside the door and walked over to my wife. I hated when she was disappointed. I hated when she gets rejection letters. She always took it hard, dimming her usual bright light. They were idiots. Every single one of them.

I reached her and kissed her forehead. "It's okay, princess. You'll get 'em next time."

Audrey shook her head, her beautiful green eyes wide as she looked up at me. "No, Nate. They called to let me know it's being auctioned. Publishers are actually fighting for my work."

"Princess!" I exclaimed, lifting her from the stoll, enveloping her in a big hug. She wrapped her legs around my waist, her body shaking as she cried happy tears. I rubbed her back in gentle circles. "I'm so fucking proud of you."

She pulled back and wiped her tears, letting out a small laugh. "I feel like such an idiot. This is a good thing and I can't stop crying and puking."

I chuckled in return, setting her back down. "You're just nervous. Your dream is finally happening."

She rested her hands on the back of my neck and smiled. "This wouldn't have happened without your support, Nate."

"I'm pretty perfect but I think it was your writing that won them over," I joked, earning a laugh from her, a laugh I could listen to for the rest of my life. I pulled her hands away from my neck and glanced down at her wedding ring resting proudly on her ring finger. Despite being married for nearly a year, I sometimes still can't believe we are married, that she said yes. I kissed her fingers and smirked my usual smirk that told her I was up to no good. "How about we celebrate Mrs. West?"

Audrey arched an eyebrow, a sly smile tugging at her lips. "Only if the celebration is in the bedroom."

I shot her a wicked grin. "I think I can make that happen."

Without any further response, I swept Audrey off her feet, scooping her into my arms and leading her to our bedroom.

#

The next morning, Audrey wasn't in bed. Usually, I was the one shaking her awake, if I didn't, she'd sleep until noon. My brows furrowed as I heard her coughing in the bathroom.

Going out into the hall, straight to the bathroom, I found her crouched over the toilet, heaving. I lurched forward to pull her hair back as she continued to throw up. "It's okay, princess."

Audrey groaned in response.

She threw up a couple of more times before she was finished, looking even worse than yesterday. She leaned against the tub, enjoying the coolness it provided her. "I have an appointment this afternoon at the doctor's. I've been throwing up for an hour."

I leaned down across from her, worried about what could be wrong. She and I had the same meals, so food poisoning was unlikely, or, it could be her anxiety. When she was really anxious, she often got sick. I kissed her forehead lightly. "I'll call Darian so he can man the pub. I'm coming with you."

#

"Nate," Audrey whisper yelled as I played with the little trinket that goes in your ear. "The doctor will be back with the blood test results any minute!"

I placed the ear thing down and stood by my wife, giving her a comforting smile. "Everything is going to be okay, princess. I bet the doctor will tell you that you're in perfect health."

Audrey’s lips rested in a thin line, looking skeptical.

It wasn't until the doctor returned with her results that someone spoke.

"Your blood work looks good," Dr. Quinn said with a smile.

Audrey shook her head vigorously. "That can't be right, I've been throwing up every day for nearly a week."

Dr. Quinn looked between Audrey and me, her eyes twinkling with knowing. "You're not sick, Audrey, you're pregnant."

My heart leapt out of my chest. She was pregnant. We were pregnant.

Audrey opened her mouth, looking up to me, but closed it, at a complete loss for words.

I leaned down, my forehead resting on hers, and grabbed her hands. Tears threatening to escape despite me trying hard to hold them back. "You're pregnant, princess."

Tears streamed down her face as she smiled. "I totally thought I was dying."

I barked out a laugh through my tears, wiping away hers while ignoring my own. "Nope, we're having a baby."

"A baby," she whispered with a wide grin. She wiped away the tears that trickled down my face. "You're not mad?"

I narrowed my eyes at her ridiculous question. "I am not mad, why would I be? Princess, we're having a baby, we're starting a family. I couldn't be any fucking happier."

This time, Audrey let out a laugh. "I just wanted to make sure you're happy."

I rolled my eyes at her. I loved her more than anything, but sometimes her worries were absolutely absurd. "The only thing that would make me happier is if you would let me name him."

"Him?" Audrey cocked an eyebrow. "Also, I'm not letting you name our child, knowing you, you'd choose a boxer's name."

I shrugged. "Just a feeling I have. And I think Floyd is a very good name, thank you very much."

Audrey shook her head vigorously despite smiling just as much as I was. "You're lucky I love you."

"I'm very lucky, princess," I said, kissing her forehead.

We both looked down at her stomach. Obviously, she wasn't showing but it still amazed me how our future child was on the way. There were only two other times in my life when I felt like my life was a dream, where I couldn't quite believe my life was mine. The first, when Audrey told me she loved me back for the first time. I had blurted it out and I was so nervous she wasn't going to feel the same, and when she said it back, I couldn't comprehend it. The second, was when she said I do at our wedding. When she agreed she would be mine and I would be hers for the rest of our lives and beyond.

This was my third.

####

Authors Note

Hello, lovelies!

I thought I'd drop this bonus chapter I've had in my drafts for a while as a way to celebrate our one and only princess's (Audrey’s) birthday, May 1st!

Along with this bonus chapter, I wanted to announce that the spin-off to this novel is completed and already uploaded on to my profile. It is called, "Sweet on You" and it takes place two years after the epilogue of Words & Whiskey. The story follows Nathan's cousin, Lydia, as she maneuvers through some pretty crazy life events, one of which involves her obtaining a broody bodyguard named Xander.

And before you guys ask, YES both Nathan and Audrey are in the book (even Darian!). They may not be the main characters, but they are in it quite a bit so you get to see them and what they are up to!

I sincerely hope you guys check it out, I've worked incredibly hard on these two books and I plan to write a couple of more in this universe following various side characters from both Words & Whiskey and Sweet on You! Each book in this romance series can be read as a standalone, however, there will be little easter eggs of the other books.

Thank you all for your support on my writing journey, I love being able to share my passion with you guys and I hope my books provide you with a little escapism with everything going on nowadays.

Stay safe and happy reading!

- Nicole ♡