EDITED VERSION: Chapter Thirty

"I petition to go shopping," Samara stated, slamming her book shut and placing it on the glass coffee table.

Nathan and I had just gotten home and were greeted by Samara sitting in our living room, watching Netflix.

I rolled my eyes and let out of snort. "I can't go out with this!" I pointed to the lingering bruise that was on my face from the encounter with Kieran a week and a half ago. It was no longer that dark violet colour, nor was it swollen anymore but it still had a presence of a yellow and nearly green bruise. Going anywhere was a nightmare because all I received was looks of sympathy, pity, and disgust, especially if Nathan was there picking me up from class like today.

Samara ignored my remark and simply walked to the bathroom and I heard her rummaging through my things. She came back to the living room and was careful not to step on her clothes that were still in piles around the room. Sam then had a smile on her face, holding up a bottle of foundation, concealer, and my go-to eyeshadow palette with a couple of brushes and mascara. "Now that it's nearly gone, I can cover it up without it hurting too much."

I gave her a grim look. "I suppose you can attempt to cover it up. But if it doesn't work we aren't going--we should be studying."

"Psh," Sam squatted her right hand. "It'll work. And studying? Study what? We're English majors. How do we study English?"

"Well, you could study the notes we read in class, review the lectures and our assignments, maybe reread our reading list if you really want to go above and beyond," I started rambling but Sam held up her perfectly manicured hands. "And we have done all of that. You have been Study Mode Audrey since you got back. Relax and enjoy the day."

The makeup worked and I was glad of it. Sam ended up giving me a natural look and even did my hair in a nice high ponytail with strands still lining my face and had them and the ponytail curled in such a way it didn't look curly, instead, it looked like messy waves. Nevertheless, it still looked good.

I dressed in my usual--leggings, ankle boots, and a petal pink knitted sweater. It was mid-April so the weather was still cool, but not cool enough you had to wear a winter jacket.

We started off our shopping day like all of our other shopping days and went to Starbucks. Eventually, we made our way down to the Eaton Centre which is the biggest mall I have ever stumbled upon but absolutely love because there are so many stores there. They even have a Disney store. Sam and I spent a good hour in there playing with all the plushies and looking at the cool items they have for sale. Eventually, we left that store and made an expensive stop to two of our favourite stores--Kate Spade New York and J.Crew. After we got way too many things at too expensive of places, we went to my ultimate favourite store. The book store.

I was exploring the fantasy section, reading the first few chapters of the Hobbit when Sam poked her head around the giant bookshelf and said, "Don't you already have that?"

I nodded my head but quickly added, "Well, technically, but this is a different edition."

"But if you already have it, why buy it again?" she argued, looking quite confused.

I rolled my eyes and let out an annoyed breath. "Because it's a different edition."

Sam held up her hands in surrender. "You do you, boo. Let's go eat, I'm starving."

We left the book store and Sam groaned as we approached the restaurant. "If they make us wait to be seated, I'm going to eat them."

I let out a laugh. "I don't think we'll have to wait to be seated but if we do, I'd prefer if my best friend didn't result in cannibalism because then that would be an awkward story to tell my best friend's boyfriend."