27. Not today, thank you

🐴🐴🐴

Dream watched as Paul's horse trailer drove away.

They had taken him. They had taken George, an actual human!

And it was all Cassidy's fault.

"You!" Dream growled, turning towards her with a murder like glare. "What have you done?"

She was stunned. She looked terrified, to be honest, and smaller than ever. Her confidence always made her appear tall otherwise.

"I-I'm sorry!" she stuttered. It sounded so genuine Dream was almost startled, but he knew she was lying. She wasn't sorry.

"Don't lie to me! Why did you do this? How could you let him capture a human? You supported kidnapping!"

"No! I swear, I didn't know he was human when I called Paul!" she swallowed. "If I can make it up to you..."

"Make it up to me? Are you serious? After everything you did to me, to us, you think you can just make it up?"

"I don't! And I know you will never forgive me. Heck, I don't even need another chance! But please... just let me do something right for once."

Her eyes were pleading, but he wasn't letting it convince him. Even if she did mean her words, it would take a lot more than just begging.

When he didn't answer, she continued. "I know where he has his place. The Golden Fields. I can take you there and help you save him."

Dream was still silent, thinking. She was still useful, even though he hated to admit it. Her help might actually be the only way to save George.

"Fine. Drive us there."

"Wait, really?" she looked surprised, as if she hadn't actually thought he would agree.

"Hurry before I change my mind!"

🐴🐴🐴

The car stopped outside the fields a while later. It almost seemed like Cassidy drove slower on purpose, but to Dream's frustration he couldn't do anything about it. After all, she was the only one who knew the way here.

The fields were massive. Dream wondered what was so bad about them, horses must thrive on these endless wheat fields and the green plains and forests even further away.

"Here we are," Cassidy said. "The Golden Fields."

"And now? Do we just grab George and get out of here?"

"Well... I don't exactly see any horses. Paul never told me the details about this place, so I don't know where they keep them."

"What? Why would you want to help if you don't even know where he is?"

"I know it's here, at least! It's about a full lifetime less searching." Cassidy crossed her arms and started walking across the plains.

Dream followed her. What else was he supposed to do? Search on his own?

A small barn caught his attention and he changed the direction.

"Where are you going?" Cassidy asked. "Why would he keep horses inside when all this exists?"

"I'm just taking a look."