Chapter 8

Chapter 8 is dedicated to RaniaAhmed101

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

"Aren't you optimistic."

My smile instantly vanished at the sound of that voice and I turned around to see Ashton a few feet behind me.

"So you can see me," I scoffed. "For a second, I thought I was invisible to your eyes."

He ignored my comment and came down the stairs towards me. "I'll cut to the chase. Whatever your reason is for insisting on doing this mission, I want you to stop."

Seriously, that's what he came to talk about? And here I was, ready to say my rejection vows.

"I already told you that I'm not changing my mind," I stated, crossing my arms.

"It's too dangerous for you."

"I'm aware of the risks," I informed him. "If that's all you wanted to say, then bye."

I continued walking until I was on the first floor, but I could hear him following behind me.

"If you're doing this because you feel responsible for the deal I made with Malekh, then just don't."

In a second he was right in front of me. "What I did was my fault. Jackson didn't leave because of you."

I rolled my eyes at his insistence. "Whether it was my fault or not, I'm doing this to help a friend. Who else is going to distract Malekh? You?" I didn't wait for him to answer. "I appreciate your 'concern' but I think I can make my own decisions, Ashton."

"Please," he added softly. "I'm asking you not to do this."

His blue eyes stared intensely into mine and for a second I almost forgot how to breathe. Almost. I was done falling for his tricks.

"Sorry." I shrugged going around him.

"Elizabeth."

The pieces of my heart stirred at the sound of my name on his tongue. I turned around to shoot him an irritated glare.

"Why are you doing this? You broke up with me, remember? So don't you think it's a little unfair to keep pretending that you're worried? Just choose a mood, Ashton because you're confusing me and I'd rather not do this with you again. Leave me alone, ignore me, but don't act like you have the right to be concerned about me anymore."

Ashton looked hurt for a second and then he ran a disgruntled hand through his hair as his expression morphed into one of irritation. I didn't care though. I would text Kevin that I was leaving. I wanted to get away from Ashton as quickly as possible.

I whirled around and my breath hitched in my throat as I came face to face with the king who was observing us from a few feet away. Okay, maybe going back upstairs would be the better option.

I winced slightly as his calculating gaze pinned me in place. He looked from me to Ashton, who was standing behind me, still frozen. He raised an eyebrow.

I guess he just found out that we broke up. And he did not look pleased. He calmly walked towards us. Whatever he was feeling was now perfectly masked.

"Hello, Elizabeth. It's been a while."

I nodded stiffly. He was right in front of me now. He reached out to run his fingers along the coarse material of the cast.

"I apologize for you getting hurt. I never would have expected something like that to happen at the Cilan Kingdom."

"It's okay. I'll be more careful next time," I said hurriedly, inching away from him a little. I gave him an apologetic smile and pointed to the door. "I have to leave."