Chapter 32

Chapter 32 is dedicated to dogsrtocute and paugutpos and keemat20

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, we watched in amazement as CaVaughn sat up, blinking away the sudden light that had illuminated the deep darkness he had been immersed in for so long. Ashton and his mom stood beside me with bated breaths. His heart rate was much more regular now than it had been yesterday.

“Oh, thank heavens!” the queen breathed as he opened his eyes in confusion.

CaVaughn looked around him in surprise and then his eyes settled on us.

“What happened?” he groaned, rotating his shoulders. “Why’s my body so stiff?”

“You just have to walk it off, honey,” the queen smiled, carefully sitting on the edge of his bed.

“What about Jackson? What did I miss?”

“I don’t know, life?” Ashton sighed.

CaVaughn narrowed his eyes. “How long have I been out?”

“You’ve been dead, Cav,” Ashton said, crossing his arms. “How is this possible?”

“Dead,” CaVaughn repeated as if tasting the word on his tongue for the first time. “So Malekh was serious.”

“Your scent is a little different,” Ashton observed, leaning a bit closer to him. “I can still tell it’s you… but it’s different somehow.”

“Cav, what did he do to you?” the queen asked, her eyes filled with worry. “You were bitten by an Origen. That should not have happened. They are still busy trying to find an antidote for the poison he used on you.”

“Unfortunately, it wasn’t poison,” CaVaughn sighed, cracking his neck. His eyes found mine. “Did you get hurt?”

“No, it’s because you protected me,” I said with a small smile.

“Good.”

“I’m sorry, but you just got resurrected. Is that not surprising you in the least?” Ashton asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I’m more bothered by the fact that I’m alive.”

“Do not say that!” the queen scolded him. “I would have given anything to have you back with us!”

There was a knock on the other side of the door and then it was pushed open to reveal a middle aged man. His eyes rounded in surprise after seeing CaVaughn alive and well. It took him a few seconds, but he managed to smooth his expression as well as he could.

“W-welcome back, P-prince CaVaughn,” he stuttered. “His majesty is requesting your presence immediately.”

“What? Does he want him to come choose the casket to be buried in?” Ashton sneered. “He just came back to life, let him get some rest. If the king wants him, tell him to come here himself.”

“B-but Prince Ashton, I have o-orders.”

"Are you going to make me repeat myself?"
Ashton growled, fixing his dark glare on the man who seemed conflicted.

He wiped a bead of perspiration from his forehead and sent a beseeching look to CaVaughn. “Please. If it’s not too much trouble, please go and see your father, the king.”

The queen frowned, but CaVaughn wordlessly swung his feet over the sides of the bed. The action almost seemed like a blur to me. Was he faster than before? He stood to his feet, despite the continued protests from his mom.