Chapter 34

Chapter 34 is dedicated to BeckyLennon7 and thebestescape and phatemahzannah

Thank you for your support ❤
-----------------------------------------------------------

I thought it would have been easier to breathe after leaving the thick tension in the meeting room, but I was still feeling pretty anxious. Ashton and I immediately went up to the third floor, where CaVaughn was being scolded by his mother. Her eyes were filled with angry tears as she lectured him.

"I'm too old for this," he groaned.

"You are never too old to listen to reason!" she clapped back. "Do you not care about your life?"

He was silent. A look of hurt flashed across her face.

"I love all of my children equally. There is nothing I would not do to save any of you from something like this. You are my first child, CaVaughn. You were the first to bring hope to my world filled with despair."

She sighed, collapsing into a chair. "After the arranged marriage to your father, I was ordered to have a child right away. Despite being large and strong, this kingdom was constantly in danger from other countries. Your paranoid grandfather wanted to have a secure heir in case anything was to happen to his son.

"I was married and pregnant at twenty, and my family was so far away. I was young and depressed. I wondered if I had any love left in my heart to give to my unborn child. But after you were born, the moment I laid eyes on you, I felt the joy of bringing someone into the world. I felt hope. You had his hair and eyes, but I knew that you would be a different kind of man than him and I am proud of how you grew up."

CaVaughn stared at the ground. His silky black hair fell over his eyes.

"I do not care if you turned into Big Foot," she sighed. "You will always be my son."

He sighed. "I know."

"I will go and join the meeting. Ash, you come too. We must convince that pompous council that he is of no threat to the kingdom."

"Yeah," he agreed. "I'll get the guys together. The more support we have the better."

The queen looked uncertain. "Will they support him?"

"If I don't ask, I'll never know. But I know at least one guy who will."

He gave me a smile and placed a light kiss on my lips. "Stay with Cav until we get back. Don't let him do anything stupid."

"I can hear you, you know."

He grinned at his brother and then went downstairs with his mom.
----------------------------------------------------------

CaVaughn glanced at me uncertainly and then opened his bedroom door and walked in. I hesitated, wondering whether I was invited in or not.

"Come in if you want to."

I guess that was my invitation. I stepped into the dark room. Even though it was still morning, it was almost impossible to tell because the room was pitch black. Black walls, black curtains, black furniture... almost everything was black.

"I think I know what your favorite color is," I remarked, stepping further into the room.

"I don't have one of those."

I looked around the room. "If you say so."

He turned on the lights after I stubbed my toe on his sofa. It was black too.