Chapter 4

I have never seen a rat go so stiff in either of my lives before.

Scabbers sat there in his cage, staring at me with wide eyes and his little chest expand and contract at a rapid pace. It didn't help that I had a wide grin and my chest vibrates with a cynical laugh as I returned to the Slytherin dorms. Each passing second made the little guy look like he was getting closer and closer to keeling over.

Stepping into my dorm room I halted when I saw a familiar creature tidying up, "Hello."

The house elf jumped out of being startled and stared up at me with brown eyes the size of tennis balls. "Good morning sir! Beemy was just cleaning up the dorms. Don't pay Beemy any mind, sir!" The house elf squeaked in out its adorable voice before moving at a seemingly faster pace which I guess was to not be in my way.

I carefully moved around her and sat Scabbers' cage on my bedside table, only to give the flimsy lock a long, unwavering stare. "Um... Miss. Beemy?" I went into a wacky defensive stance when the house elf suddenly appeared beside me. How could anyone mistreat these guys as slaves? They're magical ninja!

"Oh, no need for the 'miss', sir. Just Beemy. How can Beemy be of assistance?" Beemy patiently waited for me to speak. The lack of movement allowed me to get a better look at her. Her shirt was a well-knitted tea cozy done up in blue, white and red- okay, patriotic. Her posture, straight and proud, with her large eyes burning in determination and confidence in her abilities to help this dumb first-year with whatever endeavors he may need.

In short, she's a cinnamon roll and I love house elves.

My body slowly relaxed enough for me to put my foot down and not look like I'm about to kick this innocent creature in the face, "Could you find me some wire?"

Beemy tilted her head, making her bat-like ears flop, "Wire, sir?"

"Yeah wire," I motion to Scabbers. "You see, I recently got this little cutie," Bleh, "from a friend and... between you and me," I kneel to her height to make it seem like it's a big secret, "he's a bit of an escape artist. And I don't have a proper lock for his cage yet so I need some wire to tie the cage until then. Could you bring me some if you have a spare moment? Maybe also some cloth so he could create a safe spot to hide?"

Beemy nodded her head while smiling, "Oh yes, sir! Beemy will be right back with some wire and cloth!" Snapping her fingers, Beemy blinked away.

Standing straight up and reaching into my pocket, I drop the nuts and berries into Scabber's cage who has yet to move an inch from his spot. "Don't worry, I take good care of my pets... as long as they stay my pet." I slowly opened the cage, and put my hand in there. Not caring much if he tries to bite, I gently boop his snoot and retract my hand just in time to watch him scramble away and press his entire body against the edge of his cage.

How cute, he thinks I have the guts to hurt an animal.

A sharp pop behind me made me look over to find Beemy holding some wire, it was about half a foot of metal. "Is this enough for you, sir?" In her other hand was a cloth handkerchief with the Hogwarts emblem embroidered in gold.

"Yes, that's perfect. Thank you." The elf let out a giggle, handing me the wire and cloth then returning to her work. Realizing that I can't risk being late to classes I quickly tossed the cloth inside and then tied the wire so that Scabbers would be unable to undo it. However, the knot was simple enough for me to untie later. With him secured I reach into my pocket again and looked at my schedule for classes. Well... time to survive until potions class on Friday!

Rushing out of the Slytherin common room, I caught up with Draco who gave me some toast since I skipped a good portion of breakfast. "Why were you talking with Weasley?"