Chapter Fifteen: Stitches and Lemon-Drops

Almost there, I think to myself. With my tongue between my teeth, I climb onto the counter, stand on tiptoe, trying to reach the bag full of hard candies. Dec got a whole bunch of new candies yesterday.

He told me all the names of them, but the only ones I want to taste are the lemon ones and the ones he called root beer.

I want to surprise Dec and Crag by filling the shiny glass candy jars up with the new candies. I want to do it all by myself, to show them what a good helper I am.

My hand brushes over the bag, I’m so close. I grit my teeth, standing a little taller on my toes. All of a sudden, I lose my balance. I fall down with a resounding crash. My feet catching a couple of the big glass, candy-filled jars, taking them down with me.

I lie there on the floor, glass shards scattered around me, some of them catching the sunlight, shooting rainbows across the room.

Dec and Crag are out, helping one of their neighbors, mamaí and Milly are around back, picking some herbs Declan planted last spring.

I slowly sit up, carefully brushing the shards off my dress, my legs. I try to be careful, but my legs have some cuts on them, and my knee starts to bleed. I try to stand up, putting weight on my left hand, I cry out, looking down to see a big gash across my thumb.

I start to cry as dark red blood oozes out. I look around me, see all the glass mixed up with the candy. Dec is going to be so mad at me, mamaí will spank me for sure. I start to cry as I frantically start to pick up the glass, my fingertips start to bleed a little when tiny pieces poke me.

My thumb feels like it has a heartbeat, its bleeding a lot, dripping down my hand, staining my dress, the wood floor. I cry harder, run to get the broom. I have to clean this all up before someone sees.

I was supposed to show everyone how grown up I am. My nose starts to run, I swipe it with my arm, smearing blood on my cheek. I hear the bell above the door tinkle, hear Dec laughing at something Crag said, then I hear them yell.

I’m crying so hard, scared for how in trouble I am, that I don’t hear the soft words Dec and Crag say to me, I don’t hear what mamaí says, I can see her big eyes, she looks really scared by all the blood, that’s what she keeps saying “all that blood, Dec, where is it coming from.”

Dec picks me up, cuddling me against his soft, white shirt. He carries me upstairs, mamaí right behind us.

“It’s ok now, mo grá. I’ve got ya, I’ll fix ya right up.” He kisses my tears away, rubbing his chin over my hair. I snuggle closer.

“You’re my best, Dec,” I whisper, then I start to cry again, “I’m sorry I broke your store, and got blood all over, I was just trying to help.”

“Shh, none of that. Come, sit with your mama, let’s take a look at that hand.”

Mamaí pulls me close, whispering, “Everything is going to be all right.”

I close my eyes tight, trying to make the pain go away, but my thumb just keeps stinging and dripping blood.

Dec sits down, lifts my hand gently, peering closely at my cut, he whistles quietly. “This is pretty deep, love,” He lifts my chin until our eyes meet. “You’re going to need stitches, Aggie.”

I start to whimper, tugging my hand away, “Darlin’, hey, I’ll be honest with ya, it’s going to sting, it will, but I’ll be so careful sewing you up. I promise,” he brushes my tears away, swipes a finger down my nose, “You can always trust me, Aggie.”