Chapter Thirty-Three: BAINISE LÁ

(Wedding day)

The sun glinting off Claire's red curls creates an ethereal glow about her and Dec. Aggie, standing to the right as flower girl, bounces on her toes in excitement, her smile bigger than I've ever seen.

Miriam stands as bridesmaid, holding a handful of black-eyed Susan's she and Claire planted in the garden. Her cheeks are flush, her eyes dancing in happiness as she stares at Harry sitting in the front row, Corky on his lap.

Emotion fills Dec's voice as he says his vows, his hands clasping Claire's, swearing to love and cherish her all the days of his life, and Claire wiping her cheeks of tears.

In unison they whisper traditional Gaelic wedding vows, "We swear by peace and love to stand, heart to heart and hand to hand. Mark, O Spirit, and hear us now, confirming this our sacred vow."

I wipe tears from my wrinkled cheeks, my emotions high.

I smile in gratitude that all three of The Girls are happy. Milly in Colorado with her family, Miriam has Harry, Corky, and a baby on the way. And now Declan and Claire.

I press a kiss to Alex's head, he smiles up at me, "Crag, Crag," he says, patting my cheeks. I kiss his apple cheek, pulling him close even as he squirms to get down.

The pastor announces them husband and wife, Dec bending Claire backwards kissing her ravenously amid claps and cheers. Alex starts to clap, not knowing what's going on, just loving life like he always has.

Aggie jumps into Dec's arms, kissing both of his cheeks, "I can call you pop for real now. You're my pop now, right? Right, Dec?"

"That I am Aggie-girl, that I am." Dec swings her around, her giggles floating across the yard, I memorize the sound of it, not wanting to ever forget it.

Alex makes his way to his mama, lifting his arms high for her, "My álainn boy, are you so happy for today?" She turns into Dec, "We all got married today, grá. We're a true family now."

Declan sweeps both Aggie and Alex up into his arms, spinning in circles, "My little leanaí, I love you both to the moon."

The luncheon after the wedding is more of a celebration, people gather, eating, talking, laughing. Miriam and Claire walk arm in arm laughing, their smiles brighter than the stars twinkling in the deep velvet sky.

A coughing fit overtakes me, causing my body to hunch over. Hands to my knees, I gasp, trying to catch my breath.

Dec comes up behind me, hand to my shoulder, "Come on old friend, let's get you inside."

I wave him away, "No, boyo, it's your wedding day. No need to bother with an old man like me."

Declan ignores me, leading me into the store and up the stairs to our apartment. "How's the pain, Crag? Bad?"

I nod slightly, "Worse than usual, yes." I stumble on the last step, barely able to catch myself, thankful for Dec's arms around my shoulders.

He helps me into bed, pulling the quilt over my failing body. Pressing the back of his hand to my forehead, feeling for a fever, "No fever, thankfully. I'm going to grab some water and aspirin for the pain you're feeling."

I hear Dec rummaging around the kitchen area, unlatching his doctors' bag. I close my eyes, every bone, every muscle, worn and tired. My eyes droop as I lie there, the sounds of the backyard celebration wafting up through my window.

My breathing deepens, sleep overtaking me, giving me a brief reprieve from my pain.