Chapter Thirty-One: The One

“What the hell are you doing?” I push Barbara away, taking a few steps back, putting distance between us. “What is this, Barbara? What are you even doing here?”
            I scrub a hand down my unshaven face, tugging at my hair. I came out here early, prepping the soil for plating, readying the garden for Aggie to help me with deciding what seeds go where, when instead, Barbara comes around the corner to the backyard.

            I slowly rose from the ground, dirt covering my knees and hands. Before I could even ask what she was doing here, Barbara threw herself in my arms, telling me how much she missed me, how she made a mistake by leaving me. Then, shocking me to my core, she wraps herself around me, smashing her lips to mine.

           I don’t even hesitate before pushing her back, making her stumble on the uneven ground. Her perfectly made-up face turning red in fury.

            “What are you even doing here?” I spread my arms wide, “What made you think I wanted this, wanted you?” I wipe my lips, her red lipstick like a smear of blood.

            “Declan, when I saw you again, I realized what a mistake I’d made. You don’t belong here; you’re not meant to work a store.” As she takes a step toward me, I take two steps back.

            Barbara smiles stiffly, “You’re meant to practice medicine, come back to the world you were meant for, Declan, come back to me.”

            Her words hang between us, making me shake my head, “Aren’t you engaged to be married, the rock on your finger has me wondering if your fiancé knows you’re here.” I fold my arms tightly against my chest, narrowing my eyes at her, “No, you don’t miss me. When you came here last week; you came to spy. And when you saw how beautiful, how perfect my Claire is, you burned with jealousy.”

            Barbara snorts inelegantly, rolling her eyes, “Jealous? Me? I’ve never been jealous of anyone in my life. Especially of some grimy, immigrant peasant.”

            I take a menacing step closer, my fists clenched, “Careful,” I warn, “You’ll never be half the woman she is, Barbara. It doesn’t matter that you dress yourself up in fine silks, lipstick and rouge camouflaging you face for the devil you are. You’re nothing to me.”
            Her face mutinous, she raises her hand to slap me. I catch her wrist, wrenching it down, “Leave, and don’t come near my family again.”

            Angry tears flood her eyes before she turns away, marching to the street and around the corner, out of sight.

           I close my eyes, rolling my shoulders I take a deep breath, letting the anger roll off. I check my watch, wondering if Claire’s alright, she hasn’t been this late before.

         I make my way back inside the store, Crag’s at the counter with a customer, Claire, and the kids nowhere to be seen.

        I meet Crag’s eyes as the customer shuffles slowly out the door, a sack of flour in hand. His worried look has a sick feeling starting in my stomach, making its way to my throat.

        It’s hard to speak when I ask Crag where Claire is. Barbara throwing herself at me comes to mind. What if Claire came by already and witnessed what took place? What would she think?

        Crag shrugs his shoulders, “She was here, her and the wee ones. She went out back to find you…”

         “No, no, no!” I shout. “Shite!”  I pace the store, telling Crag what took place with Barbara, “Crag, she just kissed me out of nowhere. If Claire saw that, I mean….’’