Chapter Twenty-Five: I Do

My wedding day dawns sunny and bright, the sun pushing its way through the spring rain clouds just for me. I snuggle up next to Corky, brushing his red hair from his eyes. “Corky, wake up. Today’s the big day.”

            Corky shoots up in bed, clapping his hands, “Aggie,” he shouts, “It’s our wedding day!”

            “Shh,” I hold a finger to his lips, “It’s early yet.” But it’s too late, Aggie clambers over to our bed, falling in a fit of giggles next to Corky.

            “We’re going to get all dressed up today for your wedding,” Aggie looks at me, her green eyes serious. “Mamaí made me a beauteous flower crown for my hair, and Dec said he would give me and Corky lots of lollipops if we’re good through the whole ceremony.” She takes a breath, “What’s a ceremony?”

           I laugh, tousling her sleep-matted hair, “It’s where Harry and I promise to love each other forever.”

            “And me too,” Corky chirps.

            I smile, pulling him into my arms, “Yes, and you, too.”

          Claire braids my hair, wrapping it around my head, securing it with pins, leaving a few curling pieces to frame my face. “There now, you look beautiful. You’ll take Harry’s breath away.” Claire’s voice catches, tears sheening her eyes, making the green of them glow.

            “Claire, what is it, what’s wrong?” I take her hand, this woman who befriended me, took me in.

            “It’s nothing, it’s just me being emotional when I have so much to be grateful for.” She waves my worried look away, but tears spill over her cheeks.

            I hug Claire close, “Tell me, what is it?”

            She pulls back, smiling through her tears, “I’m heartbroken,” she presses a hand to her chest, “This room is so full of laughter, when Milly left it got a little quieter, now with you and Corky leaving, it’ll be far too quiet.” She tucks a strand of loose hair back into its pin, “I’m so happy for you, Miriam, falling in love and marrying someone as good as Harry, it’s wonderful.”

            “You’re the truest friend I’ve ever had, Claire. Corky and I would be lost without the friendship and kindness you and Milly gave to us.”

            “I feel the same,” She takes a cleansing breath, “Now, enough tears, todays a celebration.” She tugs my hand, pulling me to a sheet covered hanger, “It’s time to get you dressed in your finest.”

            I look down at what I’m wearing, a simple cotton house dress, spread my arms wide, “This is my finest.” I say sadly.
            Claire grins, “Not anymore,” she pulls the sheet off with a flourish, revealing a stunning cream dress, with delicate beading around the neckline and sleeves. “Don’t ask me how Declan acquired this dress, but he thought it was perfect for you.” She reverently touches the silky fabric, “And I agree, you’ll be gorgeous.”

            The dress fits almost perfectly, only a tiny bit big in the waist. Claire efficiently taking it in with a needle and thread, “There now, tis perfect. Now, for the finishing touch,” She sets a flower crown gently on my head, arranging curls just so, the fragrant rosebuds filling the room. “Perfect, you’re all ready to marry the man you love and begin the rest of your life.”

            With the spring sun high in the sky, in front of a small group of friends from around the neighborhood, Harry and I promise to love and cherish each other forever. Claps erupt when the pastor says, “You may now kiss the bride.” Harry takes my face gently between his hands, pressing a kiss to my lips full of promises.