Chapter Thirty-Five: My Crag

“The sun is so hot, Crag!” I wipe sweat off my forehead. It’s August and the sun’s beating down on Alex and me as we help Crag set out big barrels of apples in front of the store. “Are you hot?” I ask Alex.

            My baby brother grins. “Hot, hot!” he shouts, clapping his hands.

            “Guess what?” I bounce on my toes, setting apples in the barrel. “Pop said he has a surprise for us.” I dance around on the sidewalk, Alex copying me. “I hope it’s ice cream!”

            “Cream, cream!” Alex shouts, tugging my dress.

           “Crag, do you think pop will bring ice cream for us? Do you think it’ll be strawberry?” I pull Crag’s pant leg, waiting for him to look at me. “Do you?”
            “Ah, cinn bheaga, come sit with me.” Crag takes mine and Alex’s hands, walking us around the back of the store into the shade of a towering oak. Crag slowly sits down, sighing deeply.

           Swiping a handkerchief over his brow, he says, “Will you run and get me some water, Aggie-girl?”

            Crag’s face is red, like a tomato. “Are you ok, Craggy?” I touch his hand; it feels cold even though the sun is so warm. I look worried at him. “I’ll be right back with a drink, ok, Crag? Right back.” I pat Alex’s soft head. “Look after Craggy, Alex.”

           I run into the store, mamaí’s at the counter helping a customer, laughing at something they said. I get a cup of water, a tiny bit sloshing out as I run back to Crag.

          When I push through the door, I see Crag lying on the grass, unmoving, Alex sitting beside him. I scream, terrified at what’s happening.

         My screams bring mamaí rushing out. “Aggie, Crag! What’s the matter?” She sees me hovering over Crag, screaming, tears pouring down my sun-heated cheeks.

         She rushes over to us, shouting Crags name over and over. Alex starts crying, terrified at mamaí’s shouting and my tears. I pick him up, patting his back as mamaí cradles Crag’s head in her lap.

         She dips the corner of her apron in the glass of water I brought out, dapping at his forehead, checking his pulse. “Come on, Crag, wake up,” mamaí says, patting his cheeks.

         I see his eyes flutter open, they’re bloodshot and red rimmed. “Crag,” I squeak out, “Is it your time to go to heaven?”

         He tries to smile, grimacing instead as he sits up, mamaí supporting him. “I got a bit over heated is all, grá.”

       “Crag,” mamaí says, helping him to his feet. “Come inside, you need to drink some water and get out of this heat.” she swipes a hand over her own damp forehead. “Let me help you. Here, put your arm around me.”

         I carry Alex, his eyes full of tears, as Crag and mamaí slowly make their way to the back door.

         Just then, Dec shoves the door open, a grin lighting his face. He’s holding a bucket by the fingertip, our ice cream, I think.

         When his eyes land on Crag, he drops the bucket, putting his arm around his waist. “What happened?" He presses a hand to Crag’s glistening forehead, I can see Dec’s eyes fill with worry. “You have a fever, Crag.”

          A look passes between him and mamaí. It makes my tummy feel sick. I kiss Alex’s cheek, trying to comfort myself and him.