Chapter Thirty-Six: The Inheritance

I hold the papers Claire found in Crag’s trunk to my chest, overwhelmed with what they hold.

            Claire grasps my arm, whispers, “What does this mean?”

             I stare at her in wonder, picking her up in a spin, laughing in joy. “I think it means we’ve inherited a small plot of land, and a cottage.”

            Tears prick my eyes at the love and legacy Crag left for us. “It says here that this land and cottage belonged to Hans Schneider,” I meet Claire’s eyes, “That’s the same man that once owned this store.”

            “So, Crag inherited the store and the cottage when this Mr. Schneider died? Did he ever say anything to you about having a house?”

             I shake my head, scrubbing a hand over my face, “No, never. When he handed the store down to me he told me about Katarina, the….”

            “The woman he was in love with,” Claire finishes, “Her family left everything to Craggy.” She presses a hand to her heart, her beautiful green eyes sparkling, “They must have really loved him for them to leave everything they had to him.”

            Claire pushes her arms around my waist, laying her head against my chest, “I’m so happy he had Katarina and her family, even for just a little while.” She stands on tiptoe, kissing my lips softly, “And we’re so lucky to have had him.”

            I kiss the top of her head, inhaling the lavender scent of her hair, “We’re lucky to be sure. He was one of a kind.”

            Craggy’s funeral is attended by many. The small backyard of the store is overflowing with people he knew and loved; some of the people are strangers to me but must have felt Crag’s kindness at one point or another in their lives. I can’t hold back the tears as I stand to eulogize Crag.

            “Thank you all for coming out today to show your love for this wonderful man.” I clear my throat, rubbing the tears from my eyes, “I’m not sure how to even begin, Crag was a giant of a man. The kind of man that would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. He was my best friend; someone I’ll look up to forever.”

           I think of all that Crag left us, all the support he gave me through the years. It’s overwhelming, the love Crag had.

             It’s too hard to speak, I feel Aggie’s hand slip into mine, an encouraging smile on her face. With her small hand in mine I’m able to continue. I catch Claire’s eye; Alex is sleeping peacefully against her shoulder, his dark hair a contrast to her pale skin.

            She’s so beautiful, her smile tugging at my heart, her hair flowing freely down her back, the breeze tugging at a few pieces.

            She smiles through her tears, more beautiful than I’ve ever seen her. We can get through this sadness together, our little family. Miriam comes up after me, expressing how much Crag meant to her, his goodness. Claire gets up next, almost unable to speak for the emotions she’s feeling.

            It’s a lovely service, a day I think Crag would have loved. Miriam, Claire, and Aggie made Crag’s favorite to share with the mourners, a hearty stew with Irish soda bread and fresh butter.

            Besides leaving us the plot of land with the cottage, the only other thing Crag specified in his will was wanting to be buried next to Katarina.

            Earlier this morning I hired a couple of neighbor boys to help me dig a plot for Crag next to her. It’s a short walk from the cottage, a small cemetery hidden in the shade of ancient willows. Katarina is buried next to her parents, now Crag will rest beside the woman he loved.