Chapter 17

The drums sounded through the fort as Jack stood on the gallows, the noose in front of him, hands bound. He looked into the audience to see (Y/n) looking back at him, eyes flooded with sadness. She wore a dress, which Jack betted she hated, but his mouth perked up a bit at seeing the pendant he gave her sitting just above her breasts.

The moment they got back, (Y/n) was taken to a worried Johanna, who crushed the girl in a hug and cried. (Y/n) started to cry as well, for she missed Johanna, and apologized profusely for leaving. Although sad she left, Johanna was proud that her daughter had gone off to save Elizabeth Swann from a band of pirates. They wiped away their tears, hugging once more.

Johanna spoke of how she was taken in by Governor Swann, allowing her to stay in his home due to their own being destroyed by the Pyro-Pirate, as (Y/n) had called him. Swann had been able to gift them with another shop and home where they could continue their work.

Oh, but how (Y/n) missed the ocean. Now that she had been on it herself, she missed it, but she couldn't leave Johanna alone again.

(Y/n) had never fully thought about the feelings that had begun stirring in her gut ever since she met Jack Sparrow. The man was completely unlike anyone she had met before. At night, as she sewed, her mind wandered until it came to the man who sat in jail, waiting for his walk to the gallows the next morning.

She had to see him.

Running through the streets, she ran until she came to the prison and snuck her way inside to the cells. The other men in there whistled at her, to which she ignored, and found her way to the man she was coming to realize she loved.

"Jack." she whispered through the cell door. There he sat, his hat over his head, covering his eyes. He perked up when he heard his name come from her lips.

"(Y/n)? What are you doin' here, luv?" he said as he got up to rest against the cell door.

"I-I had to see you." she whispered through the prison bars. His hand rested over hers as she gripped the metal.

Jack looked down at her in understanding. He reached through the bars to lightly touch the pendant on her chest. "I'll be all right. Don't fret, luv."

Unspoken words passed between them, but (Y/n) was too afraid to act on selfish impulse. She was scared to get hurt. And so, she did not tell Captain Jack Sparrow that she had fallen in love with him.

Now, (Y/n) stood next to Elizabeth and Johanna, the former gripping her friend's hand tightly in comfort, as the announcer read out to the audience all of Jack's crimes.

"Jack Sparrow, be it heard that you have been charged..."

"There should be a Captain in there somewhere." (Y/n) muttered, causing Elizabeth to look at her, compassion in her eyes.

"tried and convicted for your willful commission of crime against the Crown, said crimes being numerous in quantity and sinister in nature, the most egregious of these to be cited herewith: piracy, smuggling..."

"This is wrong." Elizabeth said to her father.

"Commodore Norrington is bound by the law, as are we all." Governor Swann replied.

"...impersonating an officer of the Spanish Royal Navy, impersonating a cleric of the Church of England..."

(Y/n) saw Jack smirk and laugh slightly, remembering, and look to the executioner, who only looked at him emotionless. Jack's smile dropped, and he face forward again.

"...sailing under false colors, arson, kidnapping, looting, poaching, brigandage, pilfering, depravity, depredation, and general lawlessness. And for these crimes, you have been sentenced to be, on this day, hung by the neck until dead. May God have mercy on your soul."