chapter 5

after dinner i started to get ready for the night. the sun was setting, leaving a golden glow behind. crisp, bright sunlight shown through my windows, illuminating my whole cabin. after getting changed into a oversized t-shirt and some shorts, i laid down on my bed to and started to read. i left one of my windows cracked, letting a breeze flow through my room. little hairs that fell out of my ponytail tickled my forehead and cheeks. for once, since i left on this trip, i felt content. like everything would work itself out in the way it should. everything happened for a reason, and i was determined to believe in that, no matter what. my phone buzzed beside me.

mom: hey sweetie! how's it going?

a picked up my phone, smiling.

me: hi mom! pretty good, uneventful so far. i think everyone's just tired.

mom: well i would assume so, it was a long couple of flights. anyways, i just wanted to check in, make sure everything was going okay. have you talked to Robert yet?

me: not yet, i'm planning on it within the next couple of days, i'm still trying to figure out what to say.

the pit in my stomach grew a little larger thinking about it.

mom: okay, good luck!! i should get to work, don't forget to write me letters!

me: i won't, love you!<3

mom: love you too:)

i sat my phone down, getting comfortable again i found the page of my book i was on. i was only a couple of lines in when my phone buzzed again. picking up my phone, i let out a sigh. the text was from Bindi.

Bindi: hey love, there's a bit of a situation in the dining hall, i would get here as soon as possible.

i scrunched my brows together in confusion.

me: what kind of problem? what's going on?

before Bindi could answer i heard lots of shouting outside. i dropped my book on my bed and practically flew out the door. stopping on the porch i saw Terri, Wes, and Chandler all burst out their doors as well.

"what the hell!" Robert yelled at James, pushing him down the dinning hall stairs.

James stumbled down the stairs, but got his footing on the dirt road.

"oh god." i mumbled.

it was happening, Robert knew. the sound of my heart beat echoed throughout my head. my hands went cold and my stomach did a backflip. i couldn't move, it was like i was stuck. i tried to at least swallow the lump in my throat, but i couldn't. a wave of realization crashed over me, this was it. there was no way me and Robert weren't going to have an argument over this. and by the way Robert was acting i would be very surprised if we didn't break up.

"listen, Robert, i'm sorry! really i am, i didn't mean to-" James put his hands out i front of him.

"what? you didn't mean to what? fall in love with MY girlfriend? is that what you didn't mean to do!?" Robert stalked towards James.

Terri and Wes looked at each other in shock.

"Robert," Bindi quickly hopped down the steps behind Robert and James.

"don't Bindi." Robert snapped at her.

Chandler made his way to Bindis side, making sure to steer clear of James and Robert.

i'd never seen Robert like that. that was so different from is usual cool, kind, go-with-the-flow kind of personality. Robert never got like this, i don't think i'd ever even heard him raise his voice at anyone in a aggressive manor.

James was still slowly walking backwards, Robert following.

"i really am sorry, Rob,"

"don't call me that."

"Robert," James corrected himself, "Chandler was the one who told me to go for it!" he stuttered.

James motioned to Chandler who was standing a couple feet away. suddenly all eyes were on him.

"woah, woah, woah! i told you to go for it when Robert and y/n weren't together, not at the airport!" Chandler threw his hands up in the air.

"airport? what airport?" Robert glanced between James and Chandler.

oh no

James dropped his head and sighed, "the airport in Texas." he reluctantly said.

"you mean as soon as y/n left you made your move? you said you were working! not getting on a plane to go steal my girlfriend!" Robert yelled, taking quick steps toward James.

"tell me honestly, what the hell was going through you leave head?" Robert fists clenched.

"that you weren't worth y/n's time." James spat, "all you did for weeks was play with her emotions! you kissed her, only to then go and date Linden. and guess who she turned to, me. guess who comforted her, me. guess who actually saw how much you hurt her, me. it was always me, Robert."

with a blink of an eye Robert punched James straight in the face, causing James to stumble backwards, clutching is now bleeding nose. suddenly there was lots of commotion. James lunged at Robert, everyone started to yell for them to stop. Chandler and Wes pulled them apart, they tried to fight still, but Chandler and Wes's grip didn't budge.

i found myself standing in the middle of the road, although i didn't really remember moving from the porch.

"get inside." Wes sternly said while pushing James to his cabin.

shrugging Chandler off, Robert took slow steps toward me, tears threatening to fall down his bruised cheek. i had seen Robert cry before, but knowing that this time i caused it made it feel so much worse.

"for a whole year? you kept that from me for a whole year? why?" his voice was just above a whisper.

Bindi, Terri and Chandler still standing just down the road.

"i didn't know how to tell you." i took shallow breaths.

"you should have just told me."

"i know! i know i should have, okay? but- i couldn't. i didn't know what to say, or how to say it."

"well you had a whole year to figure it out." he scoffed. "you know, i don't know what i was thinking." he huffed.

"what do you mean?" i asked.

"dating you. i should've known it wasn't a good idea, that your pride would've gotten in the way."

"my pride?" i questioned, confused.

"i would like to see you before you got famous, before it all got to your head," he looked far into the distance.

"Robert," i whispered, the hurt in my voice clearly coming through.

"before every guy fell head over heels for you, i wish i wasn't one of those guys." he looked into my eyes, what i saw scared me.

nothing, i saw nothing. no pain, sadness, not even anger. his eyes were blank. normally they were filled with happiness and hope, but then, then they were filled with nothing.

i opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

"we're done." he gave me one last glance before walking away to his cabin.

i looked to the ground in shock, tears falling off my cheeks and mixing with the powdery dirt below me. my limbs felt heavy and my head spun. i glanced up at Terri, Chandler, and Bindi, who were all staring at me, shock enveloped their faces.

the sun had set, only the moon provided any light. Bindi slowly walked towards me.

"you should get to bed, love." she placed her hand on my back.

without any words she guided me to my cabin.

we made it to the door, "thank you." i plainly said.

"goodnight darling." she smiled sadly.

darling, Robert always called me darling when he was happy.