chapter 8

a few weeks had gone by since my first training session. i worked constantly, working out, doing the obstacle courses time and time again, going out and scouting, learning the history of The Black Mambas, and lots of studying on the animals i would be working with. i learned from professional vets how to bandage old wounds, and take blood. Bongani taught me how to spot and disarm traps poachers might have set beyond the reserve. and through i was still learning, i was now a great asset since The Black Mambas were pretty short handed.

although, i was grateful for all the work, it kept me busy and away from Robert. i had seen him every now and then, but he was usually talking to Chandler or his mom. i had barely seen James though, Bindi said he was thinking about leaving, and going back to Australia. she then asked why i didn't want to leave, and to be honest, i wasn't sure. maybe a little part of me still wanted to be around Robert, or that leaving made it feel like i was completely giving up on our relationship. but i did know that i was happy i didn't leave. working with The Black Mambas was one of the best experiences of my life, i wouldn't trade it for anything.

——

i sat at my desk writing a letter to my mom, she hated that me and Robert broke up. honestly she probably expected us to get married. yet, she still loved to hear about all the training i was doing, she was very proud. i had just gotten back from a night scout so i was still in my camouflage uniform. i had only gotten it a couple days before when i officially completed my training, it reminded me of when i first got my khakis. i looked at my watch, it was a little past midnight and i was getting more and more tired, but i was determined to finish my letter. i began writing again only to rest my head down on my desk and fall asleep.

i abruptly woke up to the sound of my phone ringing.

"hello?" my voice was groggy.

"oh good your awake! i just is let you know we have a meeting in the dining hall in 30 minutes. everyone's gonna be there just so you know, see you there!" Bindi chirped then hung up the phone.

"great." i mumbled.

standing up, i stretched out my aching back. i walked over to my dresser and pulled out a dark green button up top and high rise khaki shorts. the top was a bit oversized so i rolled up the sleeves and tucked it into my shorts. i slipped on some socks then laced up my ankle-high work boots. the leather was a bit worn on them and mud caked their soles but they did the job. my sage green socks peeked over the rim of my boots and my hair was a bit of a mess, but i headed out the door anyways. walking down the dirt road i quickly put my hair up into a ponytail, my baby hairs curling around my face due to the humidity.

i opened one of the large wooden doors that led to the dinning hall. i was met with lots of              chitter-chatter from everyone inside. the Brandies sat on the couch talking with Wes, Chandler, Robert and Bindi sat at the dining table and Terri came to greet me at the door.

"morning y/n!" Terri hugged me.

"morning!"

"sleep well?" she asked.

"not really." i sighed.

"there's coffee on the counter." she winked.

"your a life saver." i squeezed her arm.

i headed over to the counter and pulled out a coffee mug from the cabinet. while pouring myself a hot cup of coffee i heard a plate slide across the counter to me. i looked at it, it was a bagel spread with nutella.