chapter 11

the whole savannah felt eerie, like something was constantly watching us. Robert seemed relatively calm, he kept one hand on the wheel and the other arm rested on the door. the trucks didn't have any windows, or a top to them, in able to see the animals better. although with the darkness of the night and the inability to use our headlights, there were no animals to be seen. the chilly air blew loose strands of hair into my face, and made goosebumps appear on my skin. i clutched onto my backpack as we slowly drove through the savanna, we had left one of the main dirt roads a while ago, now we were out in the middle of an open plain. yet, the feeling of something watching us continued to linger in the back of my mind.

"we'll stop here." Robert stopped the car near a large tree.

"why?" i asked.

"it's better to be quiet when your out here in the middle of no where."

"but wouldn't the noise of the car scare the animals off?"

"maybe, or it would attract them. besides, we're not look for animals, we're looking for people." he turned the car off.

i liked it better when we were moving, it made me feel a bit safer. although we could see the starry night sky perfectly. and we were just a few paces away from a mountain, which looked very intimidating.

we sat in silence for what i thought was hours, although according to Roberts watch it had only been 45 minutes. i swore the time moved so much slower there. i thought about what Terri said and how much these animals meant to her, her words stayed in my mind.

"hey, can you text mum or Bindi and see where they are?" Robert turned to me.

"why can't you do it?"

"because i don't have my phone."

"well either do i."

"use your walkie-talkie, then."

"i don't have a walkie-talkie, you do."

"no, i don't."

"yes, you do, it's in your bag."

"i don't have a bag."

"what? what do you mean you don't have a bag, Robert?"

"i didn't pack a bag."

"we were specifically asked to pack a bag."

"well, i guess i forgot."

we bickered back and forth for a few more minutes, until i finally gave up asking why he didn't pack a bag.

we once again sat in silence, i deeply sighed, already completely annoyed with Robert. sometimes i wondered how i could put up with him for weeks at a time, never leaving his side. now i can barely last an hour.

"so your annoyed with me?" Robert sighed.

"oh, so you do have a brain in there, good to know. maybe you should use it sometime." i fake smiled at him.

he rolled his eyes, "i'm sorry i didn't pack a bag okay? but really, you need to loosen up a bit-"

i slapped a hand over his mouth, not because i was mad at him, because i heard something.

"what are you doing?!" he pulled my hand off his face.

"shh!" i harshly whispered.

"what is it?" he whispered back.

"that's them." i pointed off into the distance, where i saw very dim headlights.

"how are we going to tell the others?"