chapter 12

my head ached as i got out of bed the next morning. it had been a day since the poacher catastrophe, and luckily they were caught and turned in to the authorities. me and Robert and James were now on good terms, still i didn't think it would ever be the same between the three of us. me and Robert talked occasionally, without awkwardness, same with James and i.

i got out of bed to grab some medicine to help my headache and the soreness the cuts on my legs induced. i rubbed my hands over my face, still trying to get a grip on what had happened only 48 hours ago. a knock came to my door. i slowly walked over to open it, my legs tempting to give out on me.

"hey." Robert said as our eyes met.

a hot breeze flew in my cabin.

"hi." i weakly smiled, leaning my head against the door frame.

"how do you feel?" he asked.

"like i got hit my a train. how about you?"

"eh, i've felt better, but i've also felt worse." he smirked.

"did you need something?" i questioned.

"oh, i just wanted to see if you wanted to go for a drive with me. the fresh air always helps."

my stomach twisted with excitement.

"sure." i tried not to smile too big, "let me get dressed, i'll meet you by the trucks?"

"perfect." he gave me a little wave before walking off.

once i closed the door, i couldn't help but grin. i hurried to pick out an outfit, digging through my draws to find something i liked.

i settled for tight army green pants with lots of pockets, and a loose brown button up top, which i tucked into my bottoms. i laced up my basic ankle-high leather boots, and let my hair down. by then the medicine had started to kick in, and that mixed with my excitement made me feel a lot better. i grabbed my backpack, which i now took every where with me, and headed out the door.

i felt a little foolish for getting so excited over a simple drive, but i couldn't help myself. this was the first time in months Robert had actually wanted to do something with me. the first time in months it didn't feel like Robert hated me.

i jogged over to the large garage where they kept the trucks.

"you're feeling better." Robert chuckled.

he was leaned up against one of the vehicles, except he wasn't wearing his normal Australia Zoo uniform. instead he wore a slightly baggy, white button up shirt with light khaki pants. he had rolled up his sleeves to his elbows and left a couple buttons undone near his collar. this shirt was slightly dirty, a few splotches of dirt here and there. i assumed he had already been out in the savannah today, probably hiking or taking photos.

i'm not sure how i didn't notice the outfit change earlier. i rarely ever saw him out of his khaki uniform, and when i did he always found a way to re-incorporate it into his outfit. hints the khaki pants.

"and your looking different then you usually do." i let out a humorous huff.

his hair was growing out, due to him not being able to get a hair cut in a couple of months. it was slightly wavy and flowed effortlessly.

"i thought i'd switch it up a bit."

"mhm." i hummed while throwing my backpack in the backseat.

"oh, hold on my mum's calling. do you mind waiting?"

"i can drive if you want me too, so you can talk?" i offered.

he gave me a cautious look, "...alright."