Ch 5: Something not like this

Not me finishing up chapter 5 when I have an outline due on Wednesday and a forensics report to review by tomorrow  🤣 Don't be like me and procrastinate guys. Do your school work! That said do I have any regrets? No siree not a single one! Book 3 is progressing! On with chapter five!!!

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

"Someone is trying to kill Zari? That checks out

"Someone is trying to kill Zari? That checks out." The older Clarity nodded adjusting her fingerless gloves as the legends brought this old Clarity up to speed. All of them walking down a darkened tunnel that was lit by glowing crystals on the ceiling, shining magical protection runes carved into the walls on either side. They were masterfully done left there by a future version of John Constantine.

"Any idea why this water assassin would be after her?" Nate wondered because the team really hadn't figured out the why.

"In our line of work you make enemies fast. Could be that someone with a deep wallet ordered a hit on her. She must have pissed off the wrong person." Clarity replied as they came to a dead end. Clarity flipped up a rock on her right and placed her hand on the scanner that was underneath it. There was a happy chime noise and then the wall split in two revealing themselves to be a pair of doors.

"Wait you don't know for sure? You don't remember all this happening? Us coming to 2042 rescuing Gary?" Sara asked. "Shouldn't you have younger you's memories?"

"Time hasn't cemented." Clarity replied. "The memories I have are all fuzzy. With my luck i'll probably get them after younger me leaves. After all of you," Clarity gestured for them to walk through and when they did they were shocked by the sight in front of them. Tents littered the cavern floor. Hundreds of them staggered around the circular space. The sound of children's laughter rang through the air as children played tag running around. A little boy with a spider for a head chasing after a girl with freckles, a green eyed  little girl wearing a hijab, and a boy who was hovering off the ground. The girls trying to pull the flying boy down saying he was a cheat. Another kid joined her friends with a howl sharp claws scratching through the web the spider headed boy had tried to shoot to capture them.

"It isn't much," Clarity looked out at what she'd made with a small smile, "but it's home for now."

"Oh my god." Ray breathed scanning down below them.  "There's so many people."

"Yes, they're all hiding from A.R.G.U.S. The surface isn't safe. Too many drones and patrols."

"I thought you were bringing us to a secret lair." Nate looked around. "What is this place?"

"This is O.A.S.I.S.  One altruistic secret inclusive safezone. It doesn't matter if your a meta, a criminal, or some other oddity. Even if your just a normal person who wants to marry who you love or practice a certain faith. It's sanctuary for all."

"It's like an Underground Railroad." Jax looked around with the biggest smile on his face.

"It is in a way," Clarity nodded, "For people who want to flee to other countries we're who you find or more often than not we find you. We help. Get you out. My wife's on a mission helping a few families cross the border into canada and my husband is out looking for a more viable place to house everyone. Under the lake can only work for so long. Once winter comes the water will freeze and it'll get too cold. For me especially."