Battle of the Humongonauts (Part 1)

I sat in my room, the wooden box from Mr. E. sitting on my desk chair and staring back at me. I hadn't told anyone about the box, not even my dad. Knowing him, if I asked him about it, he'd tell me how my mother came from no family background and it was a miracle that they even met, and how lucky he was to have had her in his life before she died.

Of course, that always got me in the heart, and I'd never bring anything up for weeks with him, but after a while it just made me suspicious. This box only added to it. I stood up, and slowly opened it. I first picked up the papers bound by rope, seeing as it looked the oldest. I looked at it, and there was no writing on the front. I opened one page carefully, and in there were handwritten symbols that I didn't recognize.

I frowned, and sat back on my bed, and stared at them. From simply looking at the format, it looked like the symbols in the top corner could be a date, and the writing was a description of that day, like a journal.

There was a honk outside, the signal that the gang was here. I sighed and set the papers back in the box before heading out to meet the gang. I opened the back doors and climbed into the back. In there, Scooby was sobbing his eyes out. "Uh, hey guys? What's up with Scoob?" I asked, sitting next to Shaggy.

"It's me, isn't it? I said something that hurt his feelings, didn't I?" Fred asked from the front seat as he started driving.

"It's not you, Fred. Scooby's just being a big baby," Velma said with crossed arms as she glared at Shaggy. "Right, Shaggy?"

"Uh, if by 'big baby', you mean the 'best darn grown-up pup ever', then yes, absolutely," Shaggy stammered. "Wait, what happened?" I asked. "He found Shaggy and I kissing in his backyard, and to spare Scooby, he said he cared about both of us equally," Velma explained, growing increasingly angry.

My heart dropped to my stomach.

"Wh-what?" I asked softly, looking at Shaggy. He wouldn't meet my gaze and was just looking down at his hands. I felt tears well up, but I blinked them away, turning to the front of the van instead. "What's the news about where we're going?" I asked Daphne quietly. She looked at me carefully and sighed. "There was an attack at that new luau place in town. Apparently, it got destroyed by this giant green monster so we're checking it out," she explained. I nodded and watched the road pass by.

How could he? He tells me he loves me, kisses me, then he pulls that with Velma. At this point, I'm beginning to question whether it was worth it to hold out for him anymore.

It wasn't long until we pulled in. "Well, here we are," Fred announced, though he got silence from us all in return. "I guess we should get out."

No one moved. "Or not," he continued awkwardly. "It's a pretty good view from here."

I huffed and climbed out the back, not bothering to wait for anyone. I didn't want to talk to anyone anyways. I only wanted to solve this mystery, then go home so I could crawl under the covers and not come out for the next decade.

The luau place was indeed wrecked. All that remained was rubble. It was lucky that no one got hurt. I began looking for clues, and even took out my camera to take pictures. "Gave him the best years of my life," Scooby grumbled as he walked past me, sniffing around.

"Wow. This place really got worked," Daphne commented. Shaggy pulled out a flattened trumpet and laughed. "Oh, boy, I'll say!" he said waving it around a bit. "Flat as a pancake. And speaking of pancakes, oh boy! I sure could go for a big stack covered with clams and syrup at the Clam Cabin, right, Scoob?"

I rolled my eyes at Shaggy's attempt at sucking up, though I snorted when Scooby replied, "Choke on it."

"Well, well, look what the talking dog dragged in," Sheriff Stone called as he walked over to us. "We're just here to help, Sheriff," I said, annoyed as I took more pictures. "Help not needed here. No. This was just your normal, everyday nightclub stuff. And so, skedaddle," the sheriff said, trying to get us to leave. Velma picked up a tuft of green fur with her tweezers. "From what we've heard, whatever did this was big, green, and hairy. But, definitely not normal," she said.