Chapter 12

Sopping silk falls to the ground with a wet smack as Lilliarna steps out of her clothing. She sneezes quietly, sniffling before reaching to grab a rough towel from the rack and blot the water from her hair. Tossing on Theon's shirt, she exits the bathroom, leaving her undergarments discarded on the floor with her dress. A few feet away, Theon lay on the bed, his body propped up on the pillows with his arms crossed behind his head as his chest rises and falls in the soft spilling light from a bedside lamp. His body is bare of any clothes save for his briefs, leaving everything on display for her wandering eyes. She notices the way his body is not spectacularly built, his muscles less defined than she had imagined an alpha's being. Instead, his muscular body is veiled by a thin layer of fat, giving a solid look to him without making him look overly Herculean. An air of strength floats idly around him, even as he dozes off, testament to his position of power.

Lilliarna's nose twitches with an invisible itch and her lungs suck in a quick, sharp breath. For a moment she pauses, the world around her freezing in time before softly exhaling, almost as if in a small sigh of relief. She lets her lips curve into a smile at the minor victory. Her mate's body commands her attention once again as she moves towards the bed, her knee finding its edge as she crawls next to him, careful not to wake him from his sleep. Then suddenly she loses control as another deep inhale fills her chest before erupting in a small explosion of breath from her mouth.

Startled by the sudden noise, Theons eyes dart open, scanning the room before landing back on his mate. His heart beat slows and his lips tug up into a smirk on one side as she sniffles daintily. He wraps his arms around her lazily, pulling her body down next to him on the bed. Lilliarna turns, pouting as big puppy dog eyes stare up at him.

"I woke you."

"No you didn't"

Her nose scrunches and she scoffs before laughing as she pokes at his chest.

"You were snoring Theon."

"I don't snore."

"Oh, but you do, my love." She taps his forehead before her fingers find their way into his hair, bushing back the damp tangled mess. "It's quite angelic, actually. Like a baby."

"I do not sound like a-" Theon's eyes light up at the realization of her words. "My love?"

His brow cocks teasingly at her.

"I should have known that wouldn't get past you." She rolls into his chest, burying her face into him to avoid his gaze, her cheeks red hot. "It just felt right... I can stop if you'd like."

"No. Please never stop, little mate." He places a light kiss on the top of her head. "You can call me whatever your heart desires."

A mischievous smile spreads across her face, "Anything? So you wouldn't mind if I called you.. Oh, I don't know. Pookie Bear?"

Theon wrinkles his nose in disgust before pulling her in for a tight squeeze. His voice is overly happy as he speaks.

"I suppose you can do as you please, Cutie patootie."

Groaning, she pushes against his chest in protest.

"No. Nope. No way. I'd rather hear you call me your little mate any day over sweet cheeks."

She rolls her eyes as she sits up, catching his tongue darting out at her like a small child.

"And I would vastly prefer my love over, pookie bear."

"I prefer it too."

Lilliarna nods, settling back into his arms to breathe in his scent. Theon's fingers run the length of her hair, stopping every so often as he stumbles upon a knot to work it out gently. Soft tingles caress her skin as they massage her scalp, melting away the years of built up stress. Her eyes drift close as she focuses on the slow rhythmic drumming of his heartbeat. Its pace dances with hers, the sounds of their breathing melding in to create a quiet symphony writing out their love. Goosebumps stand to attention over her skin as Theon runs his thumb lightly over her upper arm, the familiar tingles running along under his touch. For years she'd spent her time as a rogue, running, never settling in one place for long. Now here in his arms she can't help but think how his arms feel like home around her.