Chapter 29

Fiona Anderson

"Our finals in two months. I can't believe high-school is almost over for us" Carson says as I take a seat beside him.

"Yeah. Seriously. We will have to start applying for colleges soon too. I really don't want to leave this place. I have come to love it so much" I reply, sighing.

"I am really bummed that we will be so far away from each other. I will be all the way in Illinois and you in California." He says, giving me a sad look.

"Yeah. But we can video call and talk on the phone too. And, we will come meet each other from time to time." I tell him, giving his hand a squeeze.

Suddenly, his whole expression changes and he sits up straighter, making me confused at the sudden change.

"Talking about all this Fiona. I have something that I want to tell you. I have been meaning to tell you this for a long time, but I just never have had the guts." He says, making me even more confused.

"What is it?" I ask, giving him a curious glance.

"We are going to go our different ways in about two months, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I never told you about this," he stops for a second, taking deep breath before he continues, "I- I have liked you for a really long time Fiona. I mean it. I mean, to be honest, I think I have probably liked you since the day that I saw you sitting here under the tree."

"Carson I-" I start, but he cuts me off.

"No, let me finish." He says. "You are the most incredible girl I have ever met. You have gone through so much, and yet you are here, being the best version of yourself. I never imagined that I could like someone so much, but I do. And I can't explain to you how happy I feel in the moments that I spend with you. We just have two months left together, and I know that it isn't a lot of time for us but I would like to make the most of it." Carson finishes, finally stopping to take a breath.

I take a deep breath too. I had not been expecting this. I can feel my stomach churn with butterflies as I look into his eyes beside me.

"Carson I- I don't know what to say." I do agree that somewhere deep inside me, I am having this really giddy feeling that Carson likes me, but I have always just seen him as a friend. That's all.

"I am sorry but, but I have only ever seen you as my best friend." I say in hushed whisper, not having the heart to say it louder.

At that moment Carson looks away from, hiding his face.

I move towards him, touching his face with both my palms, I turn him to face me.

"I am sorry that this had to happen. But I will always be your friend. No matter what." I say, and a sad smile comes onto his face.

"I had expected this beforehand. I thought I had been prepared for it, but god was I wrong, it hurts to be rejected." He says with a small sad laugh.

I stay quiet, not having any idea what to say to him.

"Well, let's not make it sappy here, okay? Just so you know, the offer is always going to be there for you to take if you ever change your mind." He says, slowly pushing me back to sit on the ground in front of him.

We both stay silent, the silence so awkward that it could be cut with a knife.

"Well, that was something wasn't it?" Carson says after a while, giving a fake laugh.

I attempt to laugh it off too but it comes out as a croak. I look at him, not believing what had just happened.

"I think- I think I am going to go back now." Carson says, getting up.