𝑆𝑡𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑎

I sit down beside my mom and turn on the television.

"It's so nice to see you smile again." Mom remarks.

Was I smiling?

"I just made a friend today, and she's nice," I tell her.

"That's good, You should make more friends. I can see you're already crawling out of your shell,"

"Mom, there's this party tomorrow night. Sofie wants me to go with her and it's Friday night. I don't know if I should go or not," 

Mom wraps her arm around my shoulders.

"You should go, just be careful. Do not drink, and have fun," She raises her eyebrows "But not too much fun."

I laugh.

"You're laughing." 

I look at her and shrug. Was I being my old self?

Mom gets up to start preparing lunch. I turn on the television.

"Hello, my favorite cousin in the whole wide world." A pair of strong arms circle my waist and I stop breathing. There's a burning sensation in my chest as if my heart's on fire.

"W-who...," I'm trying to take a deep breath, telling myself that it's all okay. My chest is burning up. I try to detangle myself from the embrace but fail to do so. I continue trying to breathe. My lungs are on fire now, and I think I'm going to die.

I start coughing violently trying to catch my breath.

"Fuck. Are you okay?" Sam, my not-so-little cousin releases me from his death grip and places his hands over my shoulders.

I close my eyes and succeed in taking a deep breath. 

"Are you okay?"He asks.

I nod.

"This is not okay, why don't you just listen to auntie?" He sits down beside me and raises his eyebrows.

I roll my eyes.

"I'm fine. It was nothing. Just don't tell mom, please." 

He shakes his head at me.

"I'm not promising anything."

"I'll do your homework this week," I try bribing him.

"Annie's doing it this week." He shrugs.

I give him my best puppy eyes.

"Shut up." He gets up and makes his way towards the kitchen.

"I didn't even say anything!" I shout. 

Sam is my mother's older brother's youngest son. He's fifteen. And he's my best friend. 

Stella!" Mom calls from the kitchen and my heart rate go off the chart.

Did Sam tell her after all? Why would he do that? 

"Yeah?" I call back, nervously.

"Do you want something to eat? I'm making spaghetti."

"I'm good!" I tell her. Thank God Samuel kept his mouth shut.

  ****

I get dressed in a navy blue dress and high heels. My hair is secured in a ponytail. Sofie did my makeup and I look good. I feel freshened up.

"We both look awesome. Remember, when in trouble just use your pretty fists. Okay?" She tells me while she parks her car.

"But I don't know how to fight." 

"No worries, You'll have me to fight for you." She smiles and I smile back.

"LET'S PARTY!" She shouts and I can't help but laugh. I feel so happy.

We enter an unfamiliar house packed with drunk teenagers.

Sofie grabs my hand and we make our way through the dancing crowd.

"We'll get some drinks first!" She shouts over the music, I shake my head. Trying to tell her that I can't drink. I don't want to drink.

Sofie grabs two bottles of beer and hands one to me.

"Drink and enjoy! I'll be back in a sec."

I try to stop her but before I can she's already gone.

I take a deep breath. So I'm alone now. As usual. I look around at the dancing people around me. 

I tuck my hair behind my ears and try to make my way through the crowd towards the kitchen. I guess I'll be safe there. 

I just want to be safe, away from everyone. I'm such a scaredy-cat.

"Hey there, beautiful." I feel a hand on my shoulder and my breath literally stops.

No. No. NO. Stella, get your shit together. Please.

Please. Oh god no.

I close my eyes and open them again.

Time to run, Stella.