Chapter 12: The Big Lie

Upon finding out that Aoi spent time with Inosuke and his friends at the old folks home, Kanao felt a little abandoned by her best friend, which caused her mood to gloom the whole day.

She didn't respond to any of Aoi's remarks, kept her head tilted to the ground and was in a daze in class, but not even once Aoi actually detected that she wasn't in the right mind.

It wasn't the first time Kanao noticed it.

In fact, she had tried to ignore this for so long because she was scared.

Of losing her best friend.

As the students of 3-A walked together to the chemistry lab, Kanao stayed at the back of the crowd, not wanting to mingle around, secretly wanting Aoi to notice that she was missing. However, Aoi didn't turn her head back at all.

Aoi changed. She was different.

She had always been the kind of girl who'd be strict to all the students, especially the guys. She wouldn't entertain them when they slack off and ask for her help later.

The girls adored Aoi. Kanao adored her too.

But as Aoi strolled in the hall, her face plastered with a sincere smile as she conversed with Tanjiro, Kanao's heart ached with jealousy. Tanjiro was a kind-hearted person, and it wasn't his fault if Aoi wanted him as her best friend.

Not Kanao who couldn't even come up with a full sentence.

Occasionally, Inosuke would put his arm around Tanjiro's shoulders and Zenitsu would do the same thing. Inosuke pushed him away and acted possessive around Tanjiro though.

A little part of Kanao suspected that Inosuke too wanted to be close to Aoi.

During recess, after Shinazugawa-sensei adjourned the class, Kanao didn't even manage to stack up her books before seeing the three boys surrounding Aoi and inviting her to join them for lunch. If Aoi wasn't laughing when Zenitsu cracked a joke, Kanao wouldn't feel this sad.

She had to make sure.

Aoi turned her head to Kanao and waved her hand, gesturing her to join them. It wouldn't be wrong for Kanao to be a little selfish, would she?

"Aoi," she whispered, pulling Aoi's hand and stopping her friend in her tracks.

"Kanao? Is something the matter?" she asked genuinely, lines creasing her forehead in worry.

"Can we have lunch together?"

"Of course we're having lunch together. Inosuke, Zenitsu and Tanjiro are waiting for us—"

"But I want just your company," Kanao cut her off, which left Aoi silent and awestruck. Kanao couldn't think, so she let her words flow without hesitating. "Is it wrong for me to wish for our lunchtime to be like the past?"

 "Is it wrong for me to wish for our lunchtime to be like the past?"