Chapter 8: The Antagonist Appears

"Lavender."

"Or is it jasmine?"

"There's probably a dash of rose."

Inosuke was walking in an empty corridor, his hands in his pockets. He wasted his time by jumping from one wing to another, just finding reasons to do something else other than going to class.

He was ditching the English class.

One thing he liked about Kimetsu High was the fact that all the students were obedient and subservient to the rules. Aside from lunch and in-between classes, none of them were to be seen in the halls.

At times, he would hear the clicking of heels and quickly hid behind doors. He had quick reflexes and his legs were strong, so he didn't find it a problem to run away.

The teachers would sometimes stop and look around, but he was good at hiding. None of them suspected that he was loitering during class hours.

It wasn't because he hated studying, even though he abhorred waking up to school.

Aoi was probably using another fragrance today and he couldn't stand smelling her all day. Since his seat was right in front of her, he found himself zoning off, thinking about her perfume multiple times.

Shinazugawa-sensei actually threw a book onto Inosuke's face when he was lost in his thoughts.

Well, Inosuke daydreamed about holding Aoi's hand and smelling the scent on her soft skin. He must've looked like a complete idiot. It was Maths class for God's sake. The worst class.

"But Aoi prefers rose over those flowers," he muttered, debating with himself. Then, he shook his head and walked over the janitor's closet.

He remembered that one moment where Aoi and Inosuke had hid inside the room, only the two of them together. She seemed to be fine, but his heart was thumping like a maniac. Even after months of being official, he still wouldn't function properly whenever she was too near.

It was probably because he didn't expect her to pull him into a room. A small, shrouded space, away from people.

It gave him ideas that he wasn't proud of.

"What the heck am I thinking about?!" he shouted and jumped over a window, landing on the other side of the hall. There was no way he would be going to class anytime soon. Education be damned.

The hallways were silent. Even the wind was scared to make any sounds. Inosuke could only hear his own breathing as he tapped his feet quietly. One wrong move and he would get punished.

As he passed by a door, a sudden hand appeared and dragged him to his left. His hair was snatched, a sharp pain jutting out of his scalp. He tried to unclasp the hand away from his blue-tipped hair, but the man was strong.

"Fucking let me go!" Inosuke screamed and attempted a kick.

The man ungripped and tossed him aside. Inosuke managed to balance his body and avoided a fall, but the pain stayed. He could've sworn he saw rainbows when the man pulled his hair.

Before he could react to the teacher standing before him, he pushed Inosuke to the wall and placed his hand on his throat, choking him lightly.

"Who are you and what are you doing here, not in class?" the teacher asked. He wasn't one of the teachers that were teaching him. He had never saw a teacher with red eyes before. He had an aura that sent shivers down Inosuke's spine.

He seemed worse than Shinazugawa-sensei, which screamed danger.

Not wanting to lose to his fear, he croaked, "None of what I'm doing is your business."