Chapter 3: The Unspoken Feelings

Dragging her tired, worn out feet into the house, Aoi forced her unwilling body to step in. The weather was scorching hot, searing her scalp with sweat and itch, occasionally giving her jolts of headache.

Earlier during the morning, her home had been bustling about her sister's university graduation, which she wasn't allowed to attend.

Although Aoi came home witnessing her empty house, she didn't ignore the faint feeling of happiness and relief that swirled in her chest.

To have a whole day all to herself without having to mold Aoi's being into her parents' idea of perfection was rare and oftentimes wishful thinking.

However, her heavy chest weighed down her energy, even though she claimed that she wasn't feeling anything in particular. Her emotions were mixed up into a bowl of confusion, and she had no will to pluck out any out.

Exhaling in satisfaction, Aoi was content. She had been accepted into the prestigious school—the one she applied without her family's knowledge. Kimetsu High was built in the centre of the Kimetsu City and it was the embodiment of the new generation imbued with greatness.

Kimetsu High was officiated solely to filter the city's best students and train them in three years before graduation. These students would be recommended to their preferred college and universities, including the personal reference letter written by the principal himself.

Aoi's hands were shaking when she filled out the form, especially when she wasn't even the top student of her former school. The only way for her to nail the admission was to ace her interview, which she passed with flying colours.

Living in a household where she was never her truly self, faking her personality to ensure acceptance wasn't an arduous task. A part of her felt guilty, but she brushed her thoughts away to focus on the positive things.

She returned from the school quite early during the afternoon after picking up her admission letter and discussing the fee with the principal's secretary, a pale-skinned beautiful woman named Amane Ubuyashiki.

In slow strides, Aoi climbed up the stairs and settled down in her bedroom, hanging her bag properly behind the door and slipping off her clothes. Although her empty stomach was begging to be fed, she took a shower and left the bathroom smelling like her coconut-fragranced bath bubble.

She had been taught to be such a proper lady. The rules in her house were tight and breaking even one agreement would entail her mother's anger, usually followed by his father's annoyance towards her high-pitched voice.

Although she was actually alone, she completed her routine before checking the kitchen. Tidying her room, updating her to-do list, finishing the laundry and sweeping the living room.

Disappointingly though, she found out that her mother left nothing for her to eat.

Aoi pushed the microwave button, checked the fridge and even the dining table, but not even a speck of food was seen. Averting her eyes to the note stuck under a fridge magnet, she pulled it out and read in her mother's tone.