Chapter 7: The Fake Fight

The morning breeze slapped Inosuke's face light-heartedly, shaking off the sleepiness that was left in his body. He woke up dragging himself to the shower and his wardrobe, but the thought of seeing Aoi at the school energized him.

He put on his shoes before leaving the house. Glancing at the wall clock inside his living room, Inosuke sighed and wasted his time by sitting on the porch of the front door.

As usual, he was being late.

If he was early, he would have to waste his time at the school. His house was much preferable to him, thank you very much.

Propping his chin up with his palm, he stared at the butterflies fluttering near his mother's flowers.

Kotoha liked to spend her time with the earth. She made a mini garden just beside the gate to fill up any free time she had. Her purple wisteria flowers began to grow at the end of the stems.

Inosuke's mother was clipping her hair up, getting herself ready to work.

Aoi must've already been at school. Her best friend, Kanao would offer a ride to her each morning, alongside the teachers, Kanae-sensei and Shinobu-sensei. Sometimes, Inosuke would wake up hearing a car revving off the road.

Wearing her black two-piece outfit and her hair tied up into a neat bun, Kotoha stepped out of the house to find her heels, only to spot her son still sitting and gazing into the air. She put one hand on his shoulder.

He snapped out of his reverie. "Inosuke, dear. I thought you're already on your way to school," his mother greeted, slipping her feet into shoes while using him to balance her body.

Inosuke steadied his mother as she stood up with only one foot by holding her arm. "Nah, there's no way I'm gonna be early. I'm not one of those wannabe students. They try too hard to impress the teachers for nothing," he commented.

When she was done, Kotoha moved forward and stood in front of Inosuke. She wore a bright smile on her face as if the morning belonged to her. Tilting her head, Inosuke realized that his mother could easily pass for a woman in her mid-twenties.

"Purposely going late again today?" Kotoha queried. She walked over to Inosuke and nudged her butt to make him move a little to the left.

"Yeah. I'm going to take my time, mum," Inosuke replied as she plopped down beside him.

"Speaking about those wannabe students, aren't Aoi-san actually one of them?" she asked, which made Inosuke's body flinch. He didn't mean any of his words towards his beloved girlfriend.

"S-she's different."

"Oh, really? She wouldn't like this attitude of yours, would she?"

Mothers always had this instinct that Inosuke hated. She would always see through him.

Sighing, he admitted, "It doesn't matter anyway. We both agreed to keep our relationship a secret. I think it's better if people don't know about us."

"But if you want to be associated with her even as a friend, you need to be a good student," she said and watched his reaction.

Then, she continued, "I know you're one, dear."

Inosuke grinned, not wanting to make his mother worry. "Actually, I think it's better if we pretend like we hate each other. We both have contrasting personalities, so fighting and quarrelling come naturally to us."

Kotoha giggled as her stomach bubbled with mirth. "That does seem like the truth. Both of you are stubborn and thick-headed," Kotoha remarked.

She ruffled his hair playfully. "Well, whatever it is, mum believes in you!"