Chapter 2

Arthur tore out of the room, Merlin's limp body bundled in his arms. How could he have been so stupid? How could he have made Merlin do this - again? Guilt nestled in the pit of his stomach like a ball of lead, but he could not allow it to slow him down. Behind him he could hear Lady Mair's cries, pleading for mercy as his guards dragged her away, but they only fuelled the rage that spurred him on. It was easier to be angry at her - it helped distract him from his anger at himself. His boots pounded on the stonework as he raced down the never ending corridors towards help.

Why did the castle have to be so big? The distance from the guest chambers to Gaius' was ridiculous. He glanced down at the still form he carried and his determined frown was lost in a swell of concern and affection. He was fond of Merlin; despite his almost impressive incompetence as a servant, he was one of Arthur dearest friends, perhaps even his best friend. Not that he could ever admit such a thing out loud. At least, not when Merlin might actually hear him. Right now, though, Merlin was dead to the world, and who knew if he'd get another chance? He shook his head - he couldn't think like that. The thought of losing Merlin, never again seeing those sparkling blue eyes glancing up to meet his own, his cheeky grin lighting up his whole face, caused Arthur an agony he didn't know how to name.

He shifted his body in his arms, holding him more securely. He could feel heat pouring off him as if he were burning under his skin; his lips were slightly parted, his breath coming in gasps as rapid as Arthur's own. He might have imagined it but he almost thought he could feel Merlin drawing in closer still, his head tilting towards Arthur's chest.

"Almost there now, Merlin. Just hold on, don't go dying on me you idiot." He raced up the last staircase, taking the steps two at a time, cradling Merlin's head away from the walls. Gaius would be able to fix this. He had an antidote for everything; even when something was supposed to be incurable he always somehow found a solution. He would save Merlin. They just had to hold on.

"Arthur..."

He stopped in his tracks, paralyzed with fear and desperate hope. He had to have imagined it. He looked down. His eyes met Merlin's, now open and bright as ever, with a hint of something strange and almost desperate in their depths. Slowly, a soft smile spread across Merlin's face and Arthur felt an irresistible answering grin come to his own lips. A grin that was swiftly wiped away when Merlin stretched his arms upwards, wrapping them around Arthur's neck and bringing his lips to Arthur's.

Arthur was frozen solid. Shock ripped through his body like a bolt of lightning, his mind filled with swirling chaos as he tried to process what was happening. His moronic manservant interrupted his dinner, saved him from being poisoned, seemed to have been dying in his arms and was now...kissing him?!

The kiss was gentle at first, Merlin's soft lips gliding sweetly over his, but soon deepened. Merlin's hand came up, allowing him to curl his fingers in the hair at the nape of Arthur's neck, gently pulling him into the kiss. There was more passion in it now; Arthur could feel the need emanating from Merlin, all desire and anguish. He felt a strange heat expanding in his own chest, something tight finally uncurling in his stomach. Then Merlin pulled away and, with a contented smile and a peaceful look on his face, slipped once again into unconsciousness.

"...what the hell?"